Holy Rule for July 24

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 23, 2010

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Pauline Tinguely, charter member of Monastic
      Life list, on the anniversary of her death. She was truly an Amma to us all.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Ramon and for all who mourn him.

      Rosie, Shere-Ling's mother-in-law, worsening Alzheimer's disease.

      Tami, Vince's wife, for health concerns.

      Don, an Oblate who lives alone, friends found him when they went to check on him. He had suffered a stroke and it is unknown how long it was before he was found.

      Deo Gratias! Vince has completed his Petition to be considered for the Oblate program in Lincoln, Nebraska, under the auspices of Holy Family Monastery of Yankton, SD. Prayers, please that God's will be made manifest both to Vince and to the Oblates in this request.

      Chapter 44: How the Excommunicated Are to Make Satisfaction

      One who for serious faults is excommunicated
      from oratory and table shall make satisfaction as follows.
      At the hour when the celebration of the Work of God is concluded in the
      oratory, let her lie prostrate before the door of the oratory, saying
      nothing, but only lying prone with her face to the ground at the feet of
      all as they come out of the oratory. And let her continue to do this
      until the Abbess judges that satisfaction has been made.
      Then, when she has come at the Abbess's bidding, let her cast herself
      first at the Abbess's feet and then at the feet of all, that they may
      pray for her.

      And next, if the Abbess so orders, let her be received into the choir,
      to the place which the Abbess appoints,
      but with the provision that she shall not presume to intone Psalm or
      lesson or anything else in the oratory without a further order from the

      Moreover, at every Hour, when the Work of God is ended, let her cast
      herself on the ground in the place where she stands. And let her
      continue to satisfy in this way until the Abbess again orders her
      finally to cease
      from this satisfaction.

      But those who for slight faults are excommunicated
      only from table shall make satisfaction in the oratory,
      and continue in it till an order from the Abbess, until she blesses them
      and says, "It is enough."

      There is a LOT here for family and workplace, though one might not think
      so at first glance. This chapter is not about kneeling and prostrations,
      it is about asking for and receiving forgiveness.

      The most important part of the puzzle here is that the offender accepts
      correction, even punishment, and goes through the process to amend. If
      the principles of mercy outlined here are employed without that VERY
      important proviso, heartbreak and trouble for many can ensue. If the
      offender walks off in a huff at the first sign of correction, this is
      NOT about such a monastic at all.

      One more really important point here. Especially in the really major
      offenses, it is quite likely that more monastics are involved, not just
      the Abbot and the offender. Still, St. Benedict does not include them in
      the decision to forgive.

      This is strikingly useful. The terms of forgiveness are NOT in our
      hands, but in those of the Abbess. There is someone who has the
      authority and right to say: "This is finished, we've got to move on!"
      Wow! Now that's the sort of umpire or referee we could use in many areas
      of life. It may not be available at your place of work (unless you
      are the boss,) but it surely can be a big help in any family when a
      parent assumes this role justly.

      There is yet another bit of wisdom to be gleaned here that has nothing
      to do with body language 1,500 years old. St. Benedict establishes a
      system for the contrite one to actually make amends, to ask for
      forgiveness and receive it. Sad to say, there are people who would not forgive
      or forget. "There is NOTHING you could do that would ever make me
      forgive you!"

      This is a horrible thing, but truthfully, after a certain point, it is
      no longer the fault of the one who originally goofed, but of the
      one who refuses to forgive, who bears a grudge. This is a much more
      serious issue than kneeling or not kneeling in choir, more detrimental to
      community than stretching out by the door for a week or so. This is cancerous.

      Nobody is asking anyone to be so purblind stupid as to hold their hands
      firmly on the same hot stove twice, but if Christians don't forgive when
      asked, our common life cannot go on, and common life is an integral part
      of Christianity. When people accept correction and ask for forgiveness and try
      to amend, we must honor that somehow.

      But we still have to live with people, for all 7x70 times they ask
      to be forgiven. Maybe we will never be able to be as vulnerable with
      them again, but we have to establish at LEAST civility, and hopefully
      even more than that. And, who knows, maybe, in time (long time!)
      most of our original innocence and vulnerability will return. Maybe. But
      those things do take time. To refuse outright to forgive is to guarantee
      that the good things about reconciliation for both parties will never
      happen at all. We are denied the "luxury" of such refusals
      by both Gospel and Rule.

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.