Holy Rule for July 20

    Message 1 of 148 , Jul 19, 2010
      +PAX

      Prayers, please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Tami, suffering with persistent headaches caused by constant work-related pressures due to understaffing. May her superiors see the need for proper staffing.

      Jo Ellen and her family. Jo Ellen is profoundly disabled, and quite poor. Her family is helping all it can and then some, but those aid agencies which are tasked with helping such as she are dragging their heels.

      Abbie and Tyler, though they've been married less than a year their marriage has hit a very rocky place and they're separating. May they try to save their marriage.

      Brittany, on her 20th birthday, graces and blessings and many more!

      Mark who is struggling with opiate addiction, he's been to detox a few times and rehab once but still struggles.

      Kim who is struggling with opiate addiction.

      Michael, who has been sober for 5 years.

      Kim, who has been sober for about a year.

      Also, for their friends, there is a whole generation of teenagers that are battling opiate addiction, some try to battle the disease while others have already resigned themselves to a life of addiction.

      Jamie, suffering from several forms of liver disease and now apparently terminal. There is a procedure that might lessen his pain, but he may be too weak to have it done. He is not a person of faith and his family are not praying folks. Prayers for his happy death, should God call him now, and for his wife, Judy, and all their family.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praaise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 20, July 20, November 19
      Chapter 41: At What Hours the Meals Should Be Taken

      From holy Easter until Pentecost
      let the brothers take dinner at the sixth hour
      and supper in the evening.

      From Pentecost throughout the summer,
      unless the monks have work in the fields
      let them fast on Wednesdays and Fridays until the ninth hour;
      on the other days let them dine at the sixth hour.
      This dinner at the sixth hour shall be the daily schedule
      if they have work in the fields
      or the heat of summer is extreme;
      the Abbot's foresight shall decide on this.

      Thus it is that he should adapt and arrange everything
      in such a way that souls may be saved
      and that the brethren may do their work
      without just cause for murmuring.

      From the Ides of September until the beginning of Lent
      let them always take their dinner at the ninth hour.

      In Lent until Easter let them dine in the evening.
      But this evening hour shall be so determined
      that they will not need the light of a lamp while eating,
      Indeed at all seasons
      let the hour, whether for supper or for dinner, be so arranged
      that everything will be done by daylight.

      REFLECTION

      Something like one third of the United States population is said to
      be medically overweight. We don't notice it so much, because we are
      used to it, but go to another country and you will see far less
      obesity than at home. No doubt our affluence and unhealthy diet is
      largely to blame here. Think of the last news clip you saw from
      Japan: most of the people are of average weight for their height.

      It's a fair guess that this attitude to food in the US has influenced
      our attitude to fasting negatively. Now we look on the least thing as
      a dreadful privation, when those of us Roman Catholics over fifty can
      clearly recall meatless Fridays every week, all year and fasting from
      midnight for Communion, even if you were only 7 years old!!

      When the US Bishops addressed the issue of Friday abstinence, they
      did not abolish it. They merely said some other form of penance might
      be substituted. Whoops! That got lost in a big hurry. How many of us-
      me included- do something extra on Friday because we do not abstain
      from meat? Might be time to take a really hard look at that.

      As always, Oblates in the world must find ways that they can fast or
      abstain without imposing monastic ways on their non-monastic
      families. However, it is worthy of note that Friday abstinence is of
      the Church, not the Holy Rule and might be safely re-instituted, with
      careful explanation as to WHY we do it, for whole families.

      The meatless idea might be easiest for many, but what if something
      else was done to really set Friday apart? Skip one, just one half-
      hour TV show and you have a slot for a devotional family practice
      like the Scripture sharing or the Rosary. Could we imagine just 30
      minutes once a week of TV gone? What if (horrors!) you chose to skip
      a show you like? Find something that works for
      you and then be faithful to it.

      Our spirits are like our bodies in many respects. If we get soft, we
      get weak, if we get lazy, our energy actually diminishes while our
      total lives suffer from that inactivity. That's why Christian life
      itself, not just monastic life, is a life requiring a fair amount of
      discipline, of pushing oneself, of self-denial. Those values still
      exist in the secular world, but are usually only invoked for profit,
      power, athletics or sex. See what I mean? We need badly to get our
      acts together in affluent, developed nations.

      Message 148 of 148 , Jun 22, 2017

        Prayers for George, needs a heart valve replacement, but is too weak for the surgery. Prayers that he can have the surgery or, should God call him now, for his happy death.