Holy Rule for July 18

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 17, 2010

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Johnny, and that his memorial service provides some closure to his Mom, Dot, his sister, Joyce, cousin, Linda and all their family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

      Phillip, 18, who's been in a coma for 23 days now following a cardiac arrest. An infection of the airways is complicating things considerably. Pray that there will be no irreversible brain damage.
      Prayer too for his Mother, Monique, who was in the middle of a move when it happened and who is exhausted and nearly at wit's end.

      Melissa, as she finds her way and tries to make ends meet.

      Also for a safe trip to Cape May, NJ for Carol.

      Another Melissa, she has Lupus. She has had some complications recently which helped her come to understand the seriousness of the diease. May she find a way to live and accept God's love her her even in this difficulty.

      Chapter 39: On the Measure of Food

      We think it sufficient for the daily dinner,
      whether at the sixth or the ninth hour,
      that every table have two cooked dishes
      on account of individual infirmities,
      so that he who for some reason cannot eat of the one
      may make his meal of the other
      Therefore let two cooked dishes suffice for all the brethren;
      and if any fruit or fresh vegetables are available,
      let a third dish be added.

      Let a good pound weight of bread suffice for the day,
      whether there be only one meal or both dinner and supper.
      If they are to have supper, the cellarer shall reserve a third of that pound,
      to be given them at supper.

      But if it happens that the work was heavier,
      it shall lie within the Abbot's discretion and power,
      should it be expedient, to add something to the fare.
      Above all things, however, over-indulgence must be avoided
      and a monk must never be overtaken by indigestion;
      for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character
      as over-indulgence according to Our Lord's words,
      "See to it that your hearts be not burdened
      with over-indulgence" (Luke 21:34).

      Young boys shall not receive the same amount of food as their elders,
      but less; and frugality shall be observed in all circumstances.

      Except the sick who are very weak,
      let all abstain entirely from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.

      REFLECTION

      If you are the only Oblate in the family, do NOT try to introduce
      your non-Benedictine children or spouse to the full rigors of this
      chapter. Don't go there... Very bad idea! However, there are all
      kinds of creative ways that you can "monasticize" your diet while
      leaving the family happy!

      If you work outside the home, or most of your family is at work or
      school and you stay home, look at your lunch, or whatever meal you
      eat on your own. That's the place to make changes. You can change the
      amount you eat, maybe even make the time a bit later. Most
      workplaces, struggling to cover all the slots at lunch hour, might be
      glad if you wanted to eat lunch when the others had finished. Check
      it out.

      If you pack and carry your own lunch, you can often find a GREAT
      monastic discipline in making it plain and less often varied. Try
      peanut butter and jelly for a while. Great source of protein and
      antioxidants. Try taking just fruit. Three of the nurses I've worked
      with- and none of them for monastic reasons- ate the same lunch every
      single day. Two of them used to always eat saltines and peanut
      butter, the other ALWAYS ate one can of sardines with crackers.
      Always. Nobody died, but the lounge used to smell awful after Rosa
      dined on her sardines in that small room!

      Rosa's sardine idea might not be fine daily for you, but what about once
      a week, on Fridays, say. One can of sardines and some fat-free saltines.
      Lunch for about a dollar or so. Great source of fish oil, omega-3 and all that. Also,
      these days, about the only fish one can afford is canned. Sigh... Docs
      recommend three servings a week for cardiac health. That might be a
      lunch idea you can live with!

      What ever you do (and peanut butter and jelly, alas, is not a high
      scorer in this field,) try to make changes in your own diet with an
      eye to health and the ecology. If you are careful not to make a big
      deal of it and to serve really good-tasting food, you can even employ
      these principles to some degree with your family, if you are the
      cook! Lots of meat-stretching dishes over noodles or rice will never
      be thought of as penitential. Some really good beans as a side dish
      are great fiber, great protein, possibly fat-free and CHEAP! Red
      beans (or black beans,) over rice are traditionally ethnic and
      wonderful.

      Try to add healthy elements that will go unnoticed, too. A Franciscan
      hermit who made a retreat here turned me onto a great idea: soy
      powder. She used it for milk shakes, which never quite caught on with
      me. The taste was not great (to me, at least,) and I hate to clean a
      blender every day. On the other hand, there is about 24 grams of protein
      in 1/3 cup of that stuff, about 33% of your daily requirement. Dump a half
      cup into a bread pudding and it will never be noticed. Surely there are
      other things you can find to sneak it into as well!

      I'll just use bread pudding as an example, but you can have a lot of
      fun experimenting with other stuff, too. When I make bread pudding, I
      substitute orange juice for some of the milk. Less fat, more vitamin C,
      and the soy powder more than makes up for the bit of protein lost. Tons
      of fat-free things that don't taste fat- free at all can be made with apple
      sauce. Trust me, I dislike things that taste fat-free, so if I like them, your
      kids will never know.

      Always remember, the best penances are those we do not choose. For
      many of us, that could be as simple as following one's doctor's
      orders on diet carefully. So many things are diet-related and those
      habits are so hard to break. Let you doctor be your abbess in this
      respect and you will not only get healthier in body, but in spirit as
      well!

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.