Holy Rule for July 16

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 15 8:54 AM

      A blessed feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel to all. If you are not yet wearing
      her Brown Scapular, consider doing so: it is an awesomely wonderful Marian
      devotion and sacramental.

      Prayers, please, for all the Swiss American OSB's on their patronal feast, Our
      Lady of Einsiedeln. May Mary under all her many titles intercede for us all!

      Prayers for our Br. Vincent, on the 7th anniversary of his solemn vows. Pray,
      too, that we get about seven more like him!

      Prayers for John, on his birthday.

      Chapter 37: On the Old and Children

      Although human nature itself is drawn to special kindness
      towards these times of life,
      that is towards the old and children,
      still the authority of the Rule should also provide for them.

      Let their weakness be always taken into account,
      and let them by no means be held to the rigor of the Rule
      with regard to food.
      On the contrary,
      let a kind consideration be shown to them,
      and let them eat before the regular hours.

      REFLECTION

      The tenderness of St. Benedict shines through here. These are strong
      words for weakness: "ALWAYS taken into account," and "BY NO MEANS
      held to the rigor of the Rule for food." Though he prefaces his
      chapter recalling that any healthy human nature has a certain level
      of consideration for these age groups, our holy Father Benedict
      quickly returns to a very consistent theme of the Holy Rule: we are
      called to more than mere nature.

      We are called to enhance our nature to the supernatural, to the heights of
      sanctity. Our considerate mindfulness for every person and their individual
      needs must be greater than that of the world. Indeed, our monastic calling bids
      us to raise EVERY area of our lives to the supernatural. As monastics, we
      strive to elevate everything to the sacred, everything to grace working in us
      and with us!

      St. Benedict's aim is that each of us ALWAYS see the person first.
      That kind of loving mindfulness will make the chapters on the sick
      and the young and old seem to be complete no-brainers. This is the
      way we should be seeing everyone: real people for whom they really
      are, nothing more or less. Circumstances do arise that require
      greater attention, but the foundation of that is a firm theology of
      personalism.

      It should come as no great shock that the most frequent obstacle to
      viewing others correctly is ourselves. Our own image, our self, our
      pain, our projections get in the way of the lens of truth. We have to
      spend our monastic struggle learning to put those things aside, so
      that the light of others may shine through unobstructed.

      With our own needs at least on a back burner, or better yet, shelved
      far off in the pantry, we can begin to truly see others and their
      needs. Wipe the mud of self from our eyes and we can see the
      treasures that surround us. Mother Teresa of Calcutta surely did
      that. She could see beauty that all of us less holy than she miss big-
      time and she could see it in everyone.

      A key to all this is a favorite quote from Antoine de St.
      Exupery's "Little Prince":

      "The essential is invisible to the eyes. One can only see rightly
      with the heart."

      That's what our Rule demands: the cultivation of the very loving eyes
      of our hearts! Dust off those cardiac lenses, beloveds. Keep 'em clean!!

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.