Holy Rule for July 11

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 10 1:24 PM

      A blessed Solemnity of St. Benedict to all! Prayers on his feastday for our Fr. Benedict of Pluscarden, and for all our Benedicts!

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias: Sister Francesca, 80, for whom we have prayed in the past has been pronounced once again healthy by her doctor.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical heaalth of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Shirley, she suffers with chronic pain from crippling arthritis and also has 3 brain aneurysms.

      Subhasis' 7 1/2 month old daughter, injured in a fall and taken to the hospital.

      Kathy, being treated for terrrible back pain, she also has knee pain, almost ready for a replacement and arthritis of the spine. She is still recovering from ankle surgery three weeks ago. Prayers for her and for her husband, Bob.

      Chapter 33: Whether Monks Ought to Have Anything of Their Own

      This vice especially is to be cut out of the monastery by the roots. Let
      no one presume to give or receive anything
      without the Abbot's leave, or to have anything as his own -- anything
      whatever, whether book or tablets or pen or whatever it may be -- since
      they are not permitted to have even their bodies or wills at their own
      disposal;
      but for all their necessities let them look to the Father of the
      monastery. And let it be unlawful to have anything
      which the Abbot has not given or allowed. Let all things be common to
      all, as it is written (Acts 4:32), and let no one say or assume that
      anything is his own.

      But if anyone is caught indulging in this most wicked vice,
      let him be admonished once and a second time. If he fails to amend, let
      him undergo punishment.

      REFLECTION

      Benedictine poverty is easily translatable for the lay monastic, married
      or single, into terms of simplicity and detachment, a holy indifference
      to non-essentials. As such, it offers a powerful opportunity for a
      witness against some of the real falsehoods of modern consumerist
      society. This is not (nor need it be,) a preachy attack on today's
      values, just a quiet refusal to go along with them.
      It involves personal practice and choice, not confrontation.

      Benedictine teaching on material goods is based on needs, not desires.
      We ought to have all that is necessary and if, as sometimes happens,
      that is not possible, we ought not to grumble. Benedictine simplicity
      insists that we live in the moment of now with gratitude.

      Does your family have all that you really need today? If so, then don't
      put your heart on hold till you can swing a below-ground swimming pool.
      That's exactly why inordinate desires can be so harmful: they DO put our
      hearts on hold, they take us out of the contented present and force us
      to live in an uncertain future of "when" and "if".

      That future is not real, except for our futures after death. We might
      never live to see the earthly future, even the next moment. We have no
      way of knowing whether or not we will live till lunch today.

      The present is all we have and anything that distracts our view from it
      is often a complete waste of time. Living in the now is a great reality
      check! It is also the place of contemplative reality: the holiness of
      now, of the present instant, standing before God in love, awe and
      thanks.

      I always hate discussions of simplicity that are so general that they
      leave people thinking: "Well, great, but how do I DO that?" Hence a few
      suggestions, not at all as norms, but just as ideas. With them comes a
      huge warning for Oblates who are spouses and parents. You can
      make choices like this for yourself, in some cases, even for the
      household, but you must never force such things on children or spouses.
      That can be disastrous and produces the very same loss of serenity that
      simplicity is designed to protect us from.

      Clothes. Almost everyone can make do with less, male or female. Before I
      became a monk, I generally had two pairs of slacks- one khaki and one
      navy blue. They looked preppy. They went with everything. Yes, after a
      while, people did notice I was always in one or the other, but so what?
      The shirts were different and I was clean.
      The shirts came from the Salvation Army: years of wear in good clothes
      for less than $5 a pop, less than $2 a pop if one waited till sale day.

      Recycle in your own home. Towels go down from the bath, to the kitchen,
      to rags. With all the rags you will soon accumulate living this way, you
      can say goodbye to paper towels, unless there is some reason you really
      need them. Cloth napkins? Wow! They even seem a bit upscale and you can
      stop buying one-use paper. Trust me, ordinarily
      washing them once a week is fine.

      This is not stinge, folks. Insofar as possible, consume stuff that is
      really good for you, avoid stuff that is wasteful or harmful. We become
      immune to the very high levels that our society actually encourages
      waste, almost demands it.

      How many people over fifty recall their first reactions to disposable
      lighters, ballpoint pens and razors when they first came out? It was
      like: "Huh??? You throw them away???" When was the last time you bought
      a refill for a ballpoint pen? Now one hardly sees any pens BUT
      disposable ones. Big, big money and profits were made by the companies
      teaching us to throw away and waste the WHOLE item, not just the used
      part. We got used to that, sadly.

      I went back to non-disposable razors some time ago, but they cost
      more than the throw away kind, which have filled who knows how many
      garbage dumps in 30 or 40 years. Somebody gave me a Zippo lighter for Christmas
      a few years ago. It is a bit of a hassle to keep it in flints and fluid,
      but it means that I have spared the planet from at least a little
      plastic.

      By the way, you don't do this because it will end over-consumption. It
      won't. The world has not moved to Schick razors and Zippos, nor are they
      likely to do so any time soon. What it does, and this is important, is
      limit your complicity in the nonsense. That, so long as one does not
      become self-righteous, can be an immensely freeing thing.

      Always remember the Zen principle: the only thing that is lacking is the
      sense that nothing is lacking. Modern consumerism thrives on and insists
      that we ALWAYS feel something is lacking. Not so, we can be free of
      that. Why be lied to any more?

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.