Holy Rule for July 7

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 6, 2010

      Prayers, please, for Samantha, 4, and Natasha, her Mom, both are believed to have been abducted. For their safety and return. The suspected abductor is the child's father.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Marguerite (Peg,) on the anniversary of her death and for her daughter, Jane, and all who mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of John, diabetes and Keith, diabetic symptoms, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding should have its proper measure of
      discipline. With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore, or those who
      cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication, whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts or brought to terms by harsh
      beatings, that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      While I often suffer from the loneliness of being single, I never,
      ever regret the fact that I am childless. Quite the reverse! I always
      find myself deeply grateful that I have not had to face the challenge of
      raising children. I have the deepest respect for those who do. Having
      taught for a while, I know all too well how daunting it can be, even
      just part-time in the classroom.

      I can assure you that, just as there are deeply toxic adults, there are,
      alas, toxic children, too. I know. I have taught them. I don't mean that
      we should stoop to violence, but how does one reach such a child? I have
      never been able to answer that. Prayer is the only answer.

      We are social primates. We have a cross and burden to bear for our
      elevation above the rest of the primate world, a responsibility. For a
      baboon troop, this is a no-brainer: drive the loser out of the
      troop. After that, the next stop is the Lions' Pride Cafe and one
      becomes an entree. Tempting as that kind of abdication may be, it is
      something to which we can never resort.

      I think we need to cling to the Benedictine model in such situations:
      punish only to reform, not for revenge, not to destroy; punish
      appropriately, in ways that will be understood and that fit the
      offense justly. When all that fails (and even before, while we're
      watching it fail slowly!) Pray, pray, pray! To pray is not like doing nothing.
      It is a very active intervention and it is often the only tool we have.

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.