Holy Rule for July 2

    Message 1 of 143 , Jul 1 4:13 PM

      Prayers. please, for a long and fruitful ministry in Christ's Priesthood for Fr. Robert Cook, OFM Conv., ordained in June. Ad multos annos!! Many years!

      Dave, 24, and for the eternal rest of his wife of two months, Robin, 27, who died quite suddenly from clots in her lungs. Ardent prayers for both, please.

      Lyn, admitted to the hospital with suspected gallstones - she and her husband are due to travel from their home in the north of Scotland to Vancouver next week to see their son.

      Dolores who is having a knee replacement on Friday, July 2.

      Helen and for her husband, Rex who died unexpectedly one year ago, for his eternal rest. She is still suffering greatly as she mourns him, and worries about her mother who is ill.

      grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.JL

      March 2, July 2, November 1
      Chapter 25: On Weightier Faults

      Let the brother who is guilty of a weightier fault
      be excluded both from the table and from the oratory.
      Let none of the brethren join him
      either for company or for conversation.
      Let him be alone at the work assigned him,
      abiding in penitential sorrow
      and pondering that terrible sentence of the Apostle
      where he says that a man of that kind is handed over
      for the destruction of the flesh,
      that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord (1 Cor. 5:5).
      Let him take his meals alone
      in the measure and at the hour
      which the Abbot shall consider suitable for him.
      He shall not be blessed by those who pass by,
      nor shall the food that is given him be blessed.

      REFLECTION

      The world's concept of punishment is alien to Benedictine values. The
      world often sees punishment as nothing other than retribution. Few
      today would think of prisons (at least in my country,) as places of
      reform or moral rehabilitation. Quite the reverse!

      We want offenders to pay and we want them removed from our view
      and out of harm's way. We often even want them dead, but we do not much
      care whether or not they reform. In fact, we have little faith that they will
      and even less hope of that given the prisons in which we have warehoused them.
      The world wants problems removed, not solved, not converted.

      With St. Benedict, there is no reason for punishment other than
      hope of reform and hope of conversion. Only when the hope of those are
      gone does he demand expulsion. The familial nature of Benedictine
      life means that we have to hold on as long as a possibility of cure
      seems to exist. Like any family, we are committed to one another
      through a lot of thick or thin and there is no shortage of either!!

      However, and some families sadly know this, too, sometimes that hope
      is dashed by the offender, the only one who has ultimate power in
      this process. Once a monastic is corrected or punished, the real
      outcome lies pretty much in the monastic's control. One can profit
      from the correction and grow, or one can stubbornly rebel and wither.

      Sometimes punishment may seem mean, but, believe me, it is really the
      most necessary form of love at times. Charity could not leave such
      wounds undressed. If it did, one would have a lot to answer for to
      God one day. Real love does not ignore, real love does not take the
      easiest route. Real love is often forced, even bravely willing, to name the
      horse on the dining room table that other diners ignore.This is as perfectly
      true of families and workplaces as it is of monasteries. There is a lot of
      wisdom
      here for all!

      Message 143 of 143 , May 21, 2014
        Prayers, please, for a woman who is trying to get established with a doctor;each one she has called either is not taking new patients or does not accept her insurance. Several are retiring or leaving their practice.