Holy Rule for May 30

    Message 1 of 149 , May 29 5:16 PM

      Prayers of thanksgiving and Deo gratias for:

      Tom, we prayed for him when he had a GI bleed during a colonoscopy. He is fine, with no underlying issues.

      Vince received his pastor's OK to pursue Oblation.

      Continued and ardent prayers for the spiritual welfare of Don, late stage cancer, for whom we prayed. He had his wife tell the priest not to come.

      A single Mom of 3 we prayed for in the past is still locked into a long court battle with her abusive former husband. Now a possible change of judges could make it drag on even longer. Prayers that the judge may stick with her case till it is resolved and that resolution comes quickly.

      Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      Occasionally I have been privileged to look after another's pet for them.
      I know when I take care of another's animal friend, I try to be much more
      careful than I usually am about many things. That pet is another's treasure and
      they have trusted me with it. I don't goof off! I take extra care because I know
      how dear my pets have been to me.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We own nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians own things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
      How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
      deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
      of His smile at such times!

      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 6, 2010

        Don, for whom we prayed, has died without seeing the Priest. Ardent prayers for the repose of his soul and for his brother, Jim, his wife and family and all who mourn him.

        Kaitlin, whose test we prayed for has also been able to get out of the bad real estate deal she was enmeshed in. Deo gratias, and thanksgiving prayers!

        Lola, whose back surgery we prayed for, has now developed pain/numbness in her other leg. Unsure of the cause, possibly a bone chip or spur, they are taking her back to surgery this afternoon. Continued prayers, please, and for her brother, Richard and all their family.

        The ninth degree of humility
        not speaking until he is questioned.
        For the Scripture shows

        two. We cheat ourselves.

        matter up...

        earth," well, there have been times in the last 18 years
        when God had to nail my feet to the floor to keep me faithful and I am