Holy Rule for May 16

    Message 1 of 149 , May 15, 2010
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Halena, Ruth and
      Gloria, and for all their loved ones and all who mourn them.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Andy, who would have been 37
      yesterday, and for his parents and all who mourn him.

      Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      Above all let her not neglect or undervalue
      the welfare of the souls committed to her,
      in a greater concern for fleeting, earthly, perishable things;
      but let her always bear in mind
      that she has undertaken the government of souls
      and that she will have to give an account of them.

      And if she be tempted to allege a lack of earthly means,
      let her remember what is written:
      "First seek the kingdom of God and His justice,
      and all these things shall be given you besides" (Ps. 33:10).
      And again:
      "Nothing is wanting to those who fear Him."

      Let her know, then,
      that she who has undertaken the government of souls
      must prepare herself to render an account of them.
      Whatever number of sisters she knows she has under her care,
      she may be sure beyond doubt that on Judgment Day
      she will have to give the Lord an account of all these souls,
      as well as of her own soul.

      Thus the constant apprehension
      about her coming examination as shepherd (Ezech. 34)
      concerning the sheep entrusted to her,
      and her anxiety over the account that must be given for others,
      make her careful of her own record.
      And while by her admonitions she is helping others to amend,
      she herself is cleansed of her faults.

      REFLECTION

      Four times in this portion alone, St. Benedict reminds those in
      authority that theirs is a government "of souls." No wonder material
      things are not to be put first. Nothing fleeting at all must come
      before the souls of those we care for, whether abbess or parent or
      teacher or nurse. Our own souls are intricately linked with the
      welfare of those we govern or care for or serve. (BTW, ideally, in
      St. Benedict's model of authority, all three functions of ruling,
      loving and serving are present at all times. Lofty goal that!)

      It's easy to forget that this reading covers a lot more than material
      things. All things perishable, empty and earthly are included, even if more
      detailed coverage is given to the material ones. It is a sad truth
      that we often congratulate ourselves for avoiding one fault while falling
      headlong into another.

      "What would people say?" is a question sometimes necessary, but all
      too often it becomes an idol on its own. That's when trouble ensues.
      As with material things, there is a certain BALANCED (getting sick of
      that word? Welcome to Benedictine values!) concern for appearances
      here. We bear a responsibility, as any parent could tell you, for the
      material welfare of the bodies those souls we govern run around in,
      and we have to be careful of some appearances that would cause
      scandal, but there it stops.

      The parent or superior who can give an example of courage in the face
      of false values to their charges has given an inestimable gift,
      indeed. A wise person can contrast the nagging question of "What
      would people think?" with "What are they entitled to think? Have we
      all not an obligation to think the best of others?"

      One can be a genuine, confessed sinner and say to the world, "I know
      what sin is." Sinners all, we may be far more likely to listen to
      such a person than we would be to one of pretended (and pretentious!)
      perfection. We like the idea of wounded healers, but I can assure you
      from the inside that wounded healers do not play terribly well with
      many in church power. "What would people think?" Such reasoning robs
      us, sinners all, of our strongest preaching points and robs those
      wounded ones around us of the needful message that there is room
      within for them.

      See what I have been getting at here? A parent or superior with a
      genuine sense of what is real can make their charges see reality,
      too. It is always a gift to see reality, because reality is truth
      and Jesus said: "I am the truth." God IS Truth, and every fragment of
      truth we garner on this strange, checkered journey of life will make Him
      instantly more familiar to us when we meet Him face to face.

      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 6 1:33 PM
        +PAX

        Don, for whom we prayed, has died without seeing the Priest. Ardent prayers for the repose of his soul and for his brother, Jim, his wife and family and all who mourn him.

        Kaitlin, whose test we prayed for has also been able to get out of the bad real estate deal she was enmeshed in. Deo gratias, and thanksgiving prayers!

        Lola, whose back surgery we prayed for, has now developed pain/numbness in her other leg. Unsure of the cause, possibly a bone chip or spur, they are taking her back to surgery this afternoon. Continued prayers, please, and for her brother, Richard and all their family.

        The ninth degree of humility
        not speaking until he is questioned.
        For the Scripture shows

        two. We cheat ourselves.

        matter up...

        earth," well, there have been times in the last 18 years
        when God had to nail my feet to the floor to keep me faithful and I am