Holy Rule for Mar. 25

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2010
      I hit send by accident, here is the reading and reflection. JL

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
      best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.
      JL

      March 25, July 25, November 24
      Chapter 45: On Those Who Make Mistakes in the Oratory

      When anyone has made a mistake
      while reciting a Psalm, a responsory,
      an antiphon or a lesson,
      if he does not humble himself there before all
      by making a satisfaction,
      let him undergo a greater punishment
      because he would not correct by humility
      what he did wrong through carelessness.

      But boys for such faults shall be whipped.

      REFLECTION

      Calm down, we don't whip anybody anymore. It has too often been my
      experience that such lines push all the buttons of some readers these
      days and blind them to the rest of the good stuff there. We don't
      whip now, they did 1,500 years ago, everyone else did, too. Let's not get so
      mired in the sensitivities of our own time that we forget how terribly recent
      some of them are. (Just try to breathe normally... paramedics will be here
      any minute now. Maybe we can get that dosage adjusted and you won't
      have these terrible fugues anymore, hmmm? LOL!)

      As I mentioned before, in our house we do kneel in the center when
      late for choir, then bow to the superior and go to our place. We also bow
      to the superior when late to table. We kneel when we make audible
      mistakes in Church. And yes, those things can be very useful.

      But most Oblates do not have a refectory or choir to kneel in, so
      what's here for the majority of us? The grace of humility, without
      which communal life on any level, in monastery, workplace, market or
      home would be unlivable. Check out some of the lyrics of Shaker
      hymns, other than the famous "'Tis a Gift to Be Simple." They feature
      LOADS of messages about getting along with others. One speaks of
      not being stubborn like the oak, but of being like the willow who can bend!

      Every single human community or whatever sort is going to have its
      share of strays, fumblers and crosses. Every one without fail
      will mirror in some sense the fallen brokenness of humanity. Our job
      is to see to it that we are part of the solution, not part of the
      problem. When, through whatever means, we become part of the problem,
      we must own up to it at once and smooth it over as best and as
      quickly as we can.

      If you can't say "I'm sorry.", start
      practicing alone in front of a mirror until the words can somehow
      tumble out in public. Until they can, try some useful (though not
      perfect,) substitutes, like "Forgive me," or "It was my fault." Work
      on words of forgiveness, too, like: "It doesn't matter," or "Oh,
      that's OK,".

      Strive to make light of things. There will never be any
      shortage whatever of people who will explode and magnify things out
      of all rational proportion, so don't duplicate services! Join the
      minority and try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than
      produce them.

      Most outrage, most lack of apology, most tempests in teacups stem
      from a distorted an unhealthy view of the self. Humility corrects
      that imbalance. While you're in front of the mirror practicing
      apology, why not try a bit of self-interview?

      Why do these things or persons upset you so? What do you have in
      common with those who annoy you most? Most important, just who are
      you that your perceived slights are such a big deal? Try reminding
      yourself that He is God and you are not. Honest reflection on these points
      may be a big and promising start.

      http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2016

        +PAX

        A blessed Triduum to all. May these three days of the Lord’s Passions, Death and Resurrection fill us all with grace!

        Prayers for our Sr. Mary Paula, back in the hospital. She had been in rehab, but had to go back to the hospital.

[...]

        peaceful folks who try to prevent hurricanes in teacups, rather than

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24

          +PAX

          Prayers for Sr. Mary Angela, on her feastday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

          Prayers for Jane’s daughter, a college sophomore who is depressed and has been suicidal, prayers, too, for Jane and their family.

          Deo gratias, the Mom we prayed for had a beautiful ultrasound with no signs of the tumors she feared she might find.

          Prayers for Marjorie, whose mom, Reebecca,  is in the Philippines and dying from cancer. Prayers for her happy death and that Marjorie can get there in time to see her. Marjorie has not been home for 9 years.

          Prayers for Kathy, cardiac issues, and for her son, Josh.

          Prayers please for Ben & Sarah, struggling to keep a happy marriage. Prayers for grace to overcome anger and other negative behaviors. Prayers for their two young sons also.

          Prayers for the repose of the soul of Michael G., who died suddenly last night and for all his family and all who mourn him,

          Prayers for Annie M., who is ill.

           Continued prayers for the happy death of Ken S., in hospice care and his family and all who will mourn him.

          Prayers for Len S., who has many medical problems and his for family.

           Prayers for Trefor W.

          Prayers for John’s mum, Doreen C.

          Please pray for healing for Bill, who unexpectedly suffered heart issues and had open-heart surgery yesterday. Prayers, too, for his wife, Oblate Maureen, and for all their family.

          Please pray for a happy death for B.J., who is in hospice care now. Brain tumor. Not doing well.  No info on her religious affiliation. May God grant her peace when He calls her this world.

          Prayers please for the happy death and eternal repose of William Cardinal Keeler, and for his family and all who mourn him.