July 23

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 23, 2003
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Mary, having difficulties getting disability,
      and for Darryl, 35 and diagnosed with leukemia. God's will is best.
      Thanks so much! NRN JL

      anyone who
      does not come on time
      If then he does not amend,
      and made to eat alone,
      at the verse said after the meal.

      REFLECTION

      It is terribly important for families to eat together. St. Benedict
      knew this 1,500 years ago and things have not changed that much in
      human nature since his time. The links between members are restored
      at a shared meal. Small wonder that Jesus left us a Meal as His
      legacy to remember Him by and to unite us all.

      I can hear the groans from Oblates in families that schedules
      conflict and how can this be possible. I assure you, I do not know,
      especially since I don't know all the ins and outs of anyone's
      personal situation. I do know, however, that a family meal is so
      important that it must be worked into one's life somehow. Once a week
      is better than nothing, but even that is far too little. Every day
      might be out of the picture, but it ought to be the ideal.

      Sometimes we need to get a firm grip on what is most important. That
      might mean we have to help our children get real, as well. Being
      children, they ought not to be expected to have a tool kit capable of
      enabling any and all decisions on their own. I know and love one
      family whose soccer and hockey schedules ruin much of the year. I
      worry about them, I truly do.

      The parents make at least a better than average attempt to go to
      Church, but I am in no way certain that survives either sports
      season. Hey, I know kids get invested and I know it is hard to say
      no, but Sunday? Shot? For most of the year? God can wait, hockey
      can't?

      Not only is a terrible religious message being given here, but
      a very false message is given to each of the two athletes as well:
      the world revolves around you. Everything stops when you have a game.
      Well, not exactly, nor is that the best idea to turn a kid loose on
      the world with.

      Make no mistake, parents DO form their kids in a religion they care
      about. Unfortunately, if that religion is sports (as it often is in
      Boston, rabidly, frenetically, alas!) the message comes through loud
      and clear. That it continues to be strong in adulthood is evidenced
      by some of the absolutely inane and stupid levels of media coverage
      of certain sports events and figures in the Boston area. Face it, who
      really cares? (Or ought to....)

      Even our monks who ARE sports fans shake their heads in wonder at
      some of the lunacy. Weeks and weeks of intense coverage on who will,
      will not, might or finally did buy the Red Sox. Goodness, (anguished
      hand wringing here,)whatEVER shall we do?

      The real stupidity behind this is the assumption that some idiot is
      going to spend millions and millions of dollars to buy a team and
      forcefully drive it unprofitably into the ground. Get a life! People
      are dumb, but not that dumb. Is Ted Williams going to get frozen or
      cremated? Whatever should we do?

      And why, frankly, should we care? What difference would it make?
      Making things terribly serious that are not serious at all is not a
      sign of balanced health. We'd be wary if anyone got that serious
      about a game of Monopoly, but sports are, after all- or should be- a
      GAME, not reality.

      Reclaiming Sunday is not some hyped up Benedictine idea. It is
      Christian. Our faith itself demands that we get rest and some time
      together, hopefully for prayer! It would seem that, if one was to be
      firm anywhere, on any day of the week, Sunday might be the place to
      start.

      If the child predictably gripes that everyone else does it, this
      would offer a particularly apt time to convey the message that we are
      not like everyone else, nor are we supposed to be. That's part of
      being Christian.

      My Jewish friends grew up with a far better sense of who they were
      than many Christian (or post-Christian!) kids get today. And their
      Sabbath (O horror!) was SATURDAY. Now that cut into more than a few
      things. But there was a great, great lesson available there for those
      kids. Pity the ones who missed it.