Holy Rule for Feb. 10

    Message 1 of 149 , Feb 9, 2010

      A blessed feast of St. Scholastica to all, prayers for all our readers and all our houses that bear her name on their patronal feast. Here it is a solemnity, because our nuns' priory is dedicated to her. Special prayers for them, please.

      Carol, hip replacement surgery Tuesday.

      Nora, malignant lymph nodes had to be removed, undergoing chemo.

      Lorraine, problems of aging and not doing well, loss of appetite.

      Fr. Gerard and his Brotherhood of Blessed Gerard, doing relief work in South Africa.

      February 10, June 11, October 11
      Chapter 8: On the Divine Office During the Night

      In the winter time,
      that is from the Calends of November until Easter,
      the sisters shall rise
      at what is calculated to be the eighth hour of the night,
      so that they may sleep somewhat longer than half the night
      and rise with their rest completed.
      And the time that remains after the Night Office
      should be spent in study
      by those sisters who need a better knowledge of the Psalter
      or the lessons.

      From Easter to the aforesaid Calends of November,
      the hour of rising should be so arranged that the Morning Office,
      which is to be said at daybreak,
      will follow the Night Office after a very short interval,
      during which they may go out for the necessities of nature.

      REFLECTION

      Two very human glimpses into the personality of St. Benedict here. He
      is thoughtful and kind, making sure the monastics have time for a
      bathroom run and he is not prudish about mentioning it. It's part of
      the human and part of family life. As casually as a mother asks young
      children if anybody "has to go" before a trip, he throws out mention
      of the fact that not everyone could make it through two long services
      without great discomfort!

      The tender concern of a loving parent comes through loud and clear
      here. St. Benedict is well aware that he is not setting up a spa
      resort, but he also wants the monastics living by his ascetic regime
      to live in the reasonable comfort of moderation. "Reasonable," that
      is, in accord with reason; and "comfort" that is, to strengthen,
      literally, with strength.

      It's not
      supposed to be easy, ( and it isn't!) but being a monastic isn't
      supposed to be ALL gritted teeth, either. We Benedictines need, as
      Hopkins put it: "room to let joy size."!

      So, yeah, let them sleep enough, but not too much. And after they've
      been chanting in Church for a good long while, give 'em all a
      bathroom break. This is not the program of a heartless, joyless,
      unloving taskmaster!

      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 6, 2010

        Don, for whom we prayed, has died without seeing the Priest. Ardent prayers for the repose of his soul and for his brother, Jim, his wife and family and all who mourn him.

        Kaitlin, whose test we prayed for has also been able to get out of the bad real estate deal she was enmeshed in. Deo gratias, and thanksgiving prayers!

        Lola, whose back surgery we prayed for, has now developed pain/numbness in her other leg. Unsure of the cause, possibly a bone chip or spur, they are taking her back to surgery this afternoon. Continued prayers, please, and for her brother, Richard and all their family.

        The ninth degree of humility
        not speaking until he is questioned.
        For the Scripture shows

        two. We cheat ourselves.

        matter up...

        earth," well, there have been times in the last 18 years
        when God had to nail my feet to the floor to keep me faithful and I am