Holy Rule for Jan. 31

    Message 1 of 149 , Jan 30, 2010

      I forgot to add an intention for Barry and Bryson yesterday, that they return to their Church. May they be open to God's calling them.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following,
      for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Continued prayers for Sr. Germaine, terminal cancer. Her chemo stopped working and has been discontinued. Prayers, too, that her family and community accept that God's plans are for the good of all.

      Janice. She has a pelvic tumor that is in an odd place and inoperable. It has shrunk to half its size, but she is 73 and weakened greatly.

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God.

      Trust my limited experience here, please, if we are acting on solely
      human considerations, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit
      is so complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one. But we aren't doing it for human reasons:
      we are obeying for God.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      Mother or Father might quite pointedly know little or nothing at all. The will
      of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of them, not because they
      are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
      Many people in authority advance the will of God for reasons that have little
      or nothing to do with God!

      They may do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters: the will of God comes through. I think there is a
      mystical point where the love and will of God for one cannot ultimately be
      thwarted, where it is actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are
      doing. Even some actively opposed to His will nevertheless advance it without a
      clue. God can use anything, even His opponents, to do good for those who
      love Him, who trust Him and let Him act in their souls.

      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will. We must only trust Him, trust His Divine Mercy,
      always trust!

      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 6, 2010

        Don, for whom we prayed, has died without seeing the Priest. Ardent prayers for the repose of his soul and for his brother, Jim, his wife and family and all who mourn him.

        Kaitlin, whose test we prayed for has also been able to get out of the bad real estate deal she was enmeshed in. Deo gratias, and thanksgiving prayers!

        Lola, whose back surgery we prayed for, has now developed pain/numbness in her other leg. Unsure of the cause, possibly a bone chip or spur, they are taking her back to surgery this afternoon. Continued prayers, please, and for her brother, Richard and all their family.

        The ninth degree of humility
        not speaking until he is questioned.
        For the Scripture shows

        two. We cheat ourselves.

        matter up...

        earth," well, there have been times in the last 18 years
        when God had to nail my feet to the floor to keep me faithful and I am