Holy Rule for Jan. 30

    Message 1 of 149 , Jan 29, 2010

      Sr. Germaine, OSB, terminal cancer.

      Hilda, who has just lost the sight of one of her eyes and is finding ajustment to the situation very hard. Also for her sister, Anna Marie.

      Bryson has Cerebal Palsy and has broken his leg...crutches won't work for him so Barry (Bryson's dad) has to carry him (he's not a child) from place to place. Barry asked for prayers for his back to hold out, for patience and for healing for Bryson. Bryson has a routine that makes his life full but he can't keep it now because of his broken leg, he's finding it very difficult to bear with the boredom. Prayers for both. Barry is a single Dad.

      Elaine, biopsy appointment postponed and for safe travels on Saturday.

      Gabrielle and Brette, for safe travels as they go to Santo Domingo and for Gabrielle's Mom, Bev, who worries understandably about a trip there at this time.

      Cole, who just learned that he cannot be accepted into religious life or the priesthood, and also that marriage (should he have wished) is similarly not open to him. That he may be comforted in his pain and disappointment, be open to God's will in his continuing discernment, and trust that he will find the even better place where God is leading him.

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      OK, who doesn't love their own will, or take pleasure in satisfying
      their desires? Who doesn't love the dearest things they own and
      treasure? For a healthy person, all of these are very normal loves.
      For some of us, one or another of these loves can be very much part of
      our vocation. The key is to keep them ordinate, in line and yes, balanced!

      The means to this step is neither to go overboard hunting for things
      we hate to afflict ourselves with nor to insist on our own way at all
      costs. The real meaning here is found in the statement that Christ
      came not to do His own will, but the will of His Father, even in Gethsemane,
      even on the Cross.

      Alas, in us, that human will often DOES win: why else would we be
      struggling along the monastic way all our lives? Unlike Jesus, we are
      not sinless, we are able to sin and often do so all too gladly! We
      must daily- even minute to minute- turn from the bad in our own
      wills. It is an ongoing fight, but that is what conversatio morum means,
      the commitment to live monastically, to reform our lives monastically.
      As Benedictines we will- indeed, must- always be straining
      against the negative goad, always be seeking the place of greater
      light and good.

      The will of God is frequently very hard to see. For some of us, at
      some times, it seems downright impossible to see. There will always be
      times when we must trundle along blindly, without our senses to
      reassure us. That is why trust is such an integral part of our
      monastic struggle. At those times, the only way haltingly forward is
      to embrace the blinding darkness before us and firmly, trustingly
      clutch the merciful hand of Christ. Jesus, I trust in You!

      Message 149 of 149 , Jun 6, 2010

        Don, for whom we prayed, has died without seeing the Priest. Ardent prayers for the repose of his soul and for his brother, Jim, his wife and family and all who mourn him.

        Kaitlin, whose test we prayed for has also been able to get out of the bad real estate deal she was enmeshed in. Deo gratias, and thanksgiving prayers!

        Lola, whose back surgery we prayed for, has now developed pain/numbness in her other leg. Unsure of the cause, possibly a bone chip or spur, they are taking her back to surgery this afternoon. Continued prayers, please, and for her brother, Richard and all their family.

        The ninth degree of humility
        not speaking until he is questioned.
        For the Scripture shows

        two. We cheat ourselves.

        matter up...

        earth," well, there have been times in the last 18 years
        when God had to nail my feet to the floor to keep me faithful and I am