Holy Rule for Dec. 13

    Message 1 of 78 , Dec 12, 2009

      Ardent prayers for the happy death of Bob's Mom, who needs them badly. For those so inclined, please offer Chaplets of the Divine Mercy for her. It is so powerful for the dying.

      Prayers for Doug, going in for surgery to remove his toe and some bones in his foot on Monday.
      Diabetes complicates all this.

      Prayers for Thomas and Jane on their very happy wedding day, long, holy and happy life together for them!

      Please pray for the following: Amy who is 24 years old and has been fighting cancer. Her dad John who is very angry at God and is blaming God for Amy's health problems. John's father-in-law, Signe, who suffered a serious heart attack and the effects this is all having on John's wife (who is Amy's Mom) Prayers for all the family and extended family that they find God in their suffering and turn to Him.

      Prayers please for Nina, 78, an MRI on Monday will scan 2 spots on her lungs.

      Prayers for Fr. Mark, Br. Patrick and two other brothers injured in a serious car accident in Rome, Br. Patrick is in ICU with internal injuries and pneumonia, two others remain hospitalized. Fr. Mark is recovering from surgery due to the accident.

      Chapter 59: On the Sons of Nobles and of the Poor Who Are Offered

      If anyone of the nobility offers his son to God in the monastery
      and the boy is very young, let his parents draw up the document which
      we mentioned above; and at the oblation let them wrap the document
      itself and the boy's hand in the altar cloth. That is how they offer

      As regards their property, they shall promise in the same petition
      under oath that they will never of themselves, or through an
      intermediary, or in any way whatever, give him anything or provide
      him with the opportunity of owning anything. Or else, if they are
      unwilling to do this,
      and if they want to offer something as an alms to the monastery for
      their advantage, let them make a donation of the property they wish
      to give to the monastery, reserving the income to themselves if they
      And in this way let everything be barred, so that the boy may have no
      expectations whereby (which God forbid) he might be deceived and
      ruined, as we have learned by experience.

      Let those who are less well-to-do make a similar offering. But those
      who have nothing at all shall simply draw up the document and offer
      their son before witnesses at the oblation.

      This is the chapter that allows us to have (and be!) Oblates. How
      different would all of our lives be if this chapter had never been
      written! While I dwell on the Order as a whole in this reflection,
      how drastically different and how impoverished my life would be
      without Oblates. How very deeply my life is shaped by so many of you
      and how very grateful for that I am!

      Reflect a moment on how rich your life WOULDN'T be if you had no
      Benedictine family, if the Order had never even been founded. Think
      about brothers, sisters and friends whom you would not know, about
      what you would have missed. For starters, many of us would not be
      members on at least a couple of the forums this appears on- they
      wouldn't exist! Our wonderful fraternity in cyberspace would have
      never happened at all.

      In my own life there would have been no St. Leo, no Brother Patrick,
      no Petersham or Pluscarden. My college degree would never have
      happened and my dear friend, Jean Ronan, would never have even met
      me, let alone taught me theology.

      Every single thing I ever received from the Benedictine Order, all the
      example, all the awe and joy, and yes, even all the pain that formed
      me, would never have existed, nor would I have had any role in the
      lives of my Benedictine family of brothers and sisters. Nada. Zilch.

      Europe would look a lot different, probably worse, and the Book of
      Common Prayer would be devoid of all those wonderful OSB elements
      like Morning Prayer and Evensong. Even the architecture of Anglican
      Churches would differ: the monastic choir-in-sanctuary style would
      probably be unknown.

      Often the best way to access a treasure is to imagine its loss. We
      can take for granted things which are of inestimable value. Make
      today's chapter an opportunity for such an assessment. Carry it even
      further, to some other dear and wonderful things in your life. What
      if there were no Church? What if you had no family ? (I know, I
      know... sometimes that sounds tempting! But even in dysfunctional
      families, you would NEVER be exactly who you are without them.) Often
      the best appreciation of how things are can be had by such

      We all owe a great, great deal to St. Benedict and to his sons and
      daughters. Let us pray for our Benedictine family and give thanks,
      deep thanks for the gift we have all received!

    • carmelitanum
      Message 78 of 78 , Oct 14 1:27 AM

        Please continue prays for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!