Holy Rule for Dec. 2

    Message 1 of 78 , Dec 1, 2009

      Deo gratias and continued prayers for one very happy Thomas, who starts his new job today.

      Prayers for the community of St. Ephrem Church in Mosul, Iraq, which was destroyed by a bomber, and also for the Dominican Sisters, whose motherhouse was badly damaged by a bomb. None were injured or killed at either site, but intimidation of Christians seems deliberately planned.

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Sr. Juan de la Cruz, now in her final days with cancer. We had prayed for her last summer. May she have a peaceful and holy end, but right now she is in a lot of pain. Prayers, too, for all who will mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of Ruth has had a fall and broken her leg badly and needs an operation. Prayers for the family, too, and for all taking care of her, please.

      George asks prayers of thanks to the Blessed Mother to whom he fervently prayed in the case of a serious personal problem he was confronted with over the past week. Thankfully, he was able to clear the problem and he wants to thank her for those graces.

      Lord, help
      us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

      A Brother who is sent out on some business
      and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
      shall not presume to eat while he is out,
      even if he is urgently requested to do so
      by any person whomsoever,
      unless he has permission from his Abbot.
      And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

      REFLECTION

      Some of us may recall childhood playmates who were not allowed to eat
      at our homes or anywhere else, just at their own home. I know I do.
      She came from a VERY close-knit Seventh Day Adventist family.

      That girl's family had a high level of what sociologists term
      liminality. The term is used often to describe Hasidic Jews and the
      Old Order Amish. It is the degree of difference from the rest of the
      world that is undertaken voluntarily and its effect is to heighten
      the connectedness of the group in question, to strengthen bonds.

      Even though he could not have named it that, maybe liminality is
      something of what St. Benedict is aiming at in this chapter. Surely
      we ARE meant to be communal, to be cenobitic families that are very
      closely bonded to one another. Surely a meal is one way of both
      stressing that bond and limiting outside competitive ones. There is
      also the problem- greater in St. Benedict's day than in our own- of
      the monastic dining on heaven knows what that was forbidden.

      These days, far less is forbidden to us dietarily as monastics, but
      there are still dangers of monastics being wined and dined and
      getting far too accustomed to "only-the-best-for-me-thanks!" We are
      certainly allowed to eat out, but I think that it is significant
      that, in my monastery, we are ordinarily forbidden to eat in expensive places or
      in people's homes without permission.

      That's just our custom here. In many ways, it is very good, too.
      Remember that we usually go out in our habits. I sure don't mind
      being seen in Taco Bell or some family restaurant in my habit, but I
      would be woefully embarrassed and ashamed to be seen so attired in
      the most expensive restaurant in Boston. What kind of a statement
      would that make?

      Our homes are domestic churches, they are temples. However humble,
      they are the banquet halls of a great King.That's what we are called
      to remember in this chapter. Our homes are sacred, whether Oblate or Abbot
      Primate, we live in the houses of God. To His dwelling place, others must
      never be preferred. Ask me where I'd like to eat my last meal and the answer
      would be right here at home.

      Having said that we all dwell in domestic temples, banquet halls of
      the Greatest King, let us also take care to invite others to share that
      tremendous grace. The simplest meal in such a setting, provided the host sees it
      for the splendor of God's presence that it truly is, is a rich blessing for the guests,
      indeed. And we are, after all Benedictines: hospitality is one of our
      trademarks!

    • carmelitanum
      Message 78 of 78 , Oct 14, 2014

        Please continue prays for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        148-150);
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        REFLECTION

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!