July 14

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Keith's mother-in-law who has died and for all
      her family.

      Prayers also for the vocations of D. and S.

      Deo gratias! Maria, for whom we prayed, is doing well after spinal
      surgery. Continued prayers for her recovery. Prayers also for Nor,
      Alzheimer's, and for Ann, her sister, and all her family. Ann is
      going to England to visit her, so prayers for a safe and holy journey!
      God's will is best. NRN JL

      An hour before the meal
      let the weekly servers each receive a drink and some bread
      over and above the appointed allowance,
      in order that at the meal time they may serve their brethren
      without murmuring and without excessive fatigue.
      On solemn days, however, let them wait until after Mass.

      Immediately after the Morning Office on Sunday,
      the incoming and outgoing servers
      shall prostrate themselves before all the brethren in the oratory
      and ask their prayers.
      Let the server who is ending his week say this verse:
      "Blessed are You, O Lord God,
      who have helped me and consoled me."
      When this has been said three times
      and the outgoing server has received his blessing,
      then let the incoming server follow and say,
      "Incline unto my aid, O God;
      O Lord, make haste to help me."
      Let this also be repeated three times by all,
      and having received his blessing
      let him enter his service.

      REFLECTION

      Families, and parents and caregivers, listen up! There's an important
      lesson here. No task is too small to be blessed by prayer. More than
      that, no task is so easy that it can be done without God's help, so
      remember to thank Him. Of ourselves, we can do nothing, literally
      nothing. All our strength and power comes from God.

      Making dinner or washing the dishes? Take a quiet moment in the midst
      of either to say "Help!" and "Thanks!" Two simple, one word prayers.
      No matter how chaotic your household, everyone will find time for at
      least that. God knows the details, knows your heart and can readily
      fill in the blanks! We may think God needs essay-length prayers, but
      He doesn't. He may enjoy hearing from us, but trust me, we NEVER tell
      Him anything that's news to Him.

      It isn't that hard to teach your children by example here, either. A
      short asking God for help and blessing before doing the dishes or any
      other thing they may be helping with may not be a practice they will
      take up immediately. But they may recall, years later, how you always
      began such things with a quick prayer.

      This chapter is not simply the humility and charity of service, it is
      also the honest acknowledgment of complete helplessness without God.
      For most folks, only sickness or debility will teach them that. It
      may seem like nothing to bend down and pick up a pin off the floor
      until a bad back makes that impossible. Handicaps hone our
      perceptions of being in charge very, very well.

      Of course, there is another side to simple things like serving table,
      picking up pins and the like. No, one could not have done anything
      without God's help, but ah, if one does them out of love and care!
      Bingo! Double coupons, so to speak! If that pin got carefully picked
      up because of a barefoot and running child, or a beloved pet who is
      prone to "tasting" whatever she can find on the floor, simplicity
      becomes a very much greater matter, indeed. Now it is very close to
      the heart of God, and that is a wonderful place to be.