Holy Rule for Nov. 2

    Message 1 of 78 , Nov 1, 2009

      Prayers for all the Faithful Departed on this Feast of All Souls, may they all speed to heaven and eteranl bliss.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Patrick, for all his family and for all who mourn him.

      Belated birthday prayers for our Sr. Mary Herbert, on her 94th birthday.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

      Cathy, Lee and Ray, mental illness.

      Continued prayers for Greg, multiple myeloma.

      Sean's sister, soon to be married, and for her fiance.

      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
      associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
      with her,or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
      punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter was written for those who had already gone through all
      the earlier stages. They wound up in the ultimate form of monastic
      exclusion. At that point, one must leave the monastic and Abbot to
      themselves and pray. We are not called to play good cop/bad cop any
      longer.

      We must stand back in prayerful silence. God gave the monastic and
      the superior and the Abbey to each other. It is folly of the
      richest sort to assume He didn't know what He was doing. God also
      gave the parent and child, boss and employee, and the spouses to
      each other.

      Remember, at some point one must do nothing but pray.
      There are plenty of ways to be genuinely helpful before that point
      is reached and one ought to do so. I surely tried to love my
      students who broke my heart with their pain, but at some point I
      was helpless.
      God gave X this parent and God is not mean. Cannot be. Will never
      be. I had to trust Him at that extreme and pray for the best, which
      is all God works for anyway. And God works MUCH more efficiently
      than I do.

      Our railing at the seeming harshness of this chapter can cover
      another very important fact. Sometimes WE are the seemingly
      malevolent torturers and we don't even see that. Rare is the person
      who can truly judge themselves with the standards they
      apply to others! Even worse, it often happens that we are BOTH the
      torturer and the innocent victim, doing it most hatefully within
      our hearts, where none but God can enter.

      Our own flawed and fallen hearts trash our own pathetic souls,
      beating them up with all kinds of useless recrimination and self-
      loathings. Whoops! Not what we would have first noticed, is it? Yet
      we sometimes lock the doors of that torture chamber with the key
      that locks out even God: free will. We and we alone can thwart God
      in our own regard. Scary power, isn't it?

      Check out the times we have "excommunicated" ourselves, check out
      the times we have foolishly placed ourselves beyond any help from
      anyone. The injustice there is much harder for us to see, but it is
      terribly real. Whenever we do that, we affirm the terrible heresy
      that we know better than God, that His omniscience stops at the
      door to our inner
      selves. Wrong!!

      I love Gerard Manley Hopkins; he is my all-time favorite poet. I
      think he and I had more than a thing or two in common, not least of
      which were the tendencies to depression and beating oneself up with
      extreme efficiency. Here's something he wrote that sings to my
      heart, and I hope to yours as well.

      "My own heart let me more have pity on; let
      Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
      Charitable; not live this tormented mind
      With this tormented mind tormenting yet."

      Pray for the awful excommunications that you CANNOT help and look
      ever so carefully for those you and you alone can relieve, those of
      your own soul and heart! God alone can bring good from evil, any
      evil. Ask Him, let Him. He will never fail.

      A final word on this day when many of us are thinking on Purgatory.
      This is my own opinion, not official teaching, but I don't think it
      contradicts the teaching in any way. Try to think of Purgatory as
      also being our chance to forgive ourselves. Surely the awesome
      mercy and love of God are so infinite that many of us may have a
      hard time accepting them at first, a hard time forgiving OURSELVES
      for being so dumb. Purgatory might very well serve that purpose,
      too! We cannot, after all, be perfectly happy in Heaven until we
      are perfectly comfortable there. For that comfort, self-forgiveness
      is very necessary!

    • carmelitanum
      Message 78 of 78 , Oct 14, 2014

        Please continue prays for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        148-150);
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        REFLECTION

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!