Holy Rule for Oct. 27

    Message 1 of 78 , Oct 26, 2009

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Rosemary and Mary Isabel and all their families and all who mourn them.

      Chapter 20: On Reverence in Prayer

      When we wish to suggest our wants to persons of high station, we do
      not presume to do so
      except with humility and reverence. How much the more, then, are
      complete humility and pure devotion necessary in supplication of
      the Lord who is God of the universe! And let us be assured that it
      is not in saying a great deal that we shall be heard (Matt 6:7),
      but in purity of heart and in tears of compunction. Our prayer,
      therefore, ought to be short and pure, unless it happens to be
      prolonged by an inspiration of divine grace. In community, however,
      let prayer be very short, and when the Superior gives the signal
      let all rise together.

      REFLECTION

      There is a necessary tension in Benedictine prayer, both public and
      private, between the awesome majesty and otherness of God and His
      infinite closeness and approachability. God is among us. He is not
      the guy next door, but neither is He some untouchable, easily
      offended emperor or sultan. Both these truths must be addressed in
      order to maintain a correct balance.

      God doesn't need ceremony, He doesn't need anything. All the high
      church in the world might (or might not...) tickle His fancy, but
      it does not one whit for Him personally. The rub here is that WE
      need what we offer to God, and that has been all too often
      forgotten.

      In a very real and subtle sense, we BECOME what we offer to God,
      often quite unnoticed by ourselves. The upshot of all this is
      clear: offer God the lowest possible common denominator and that is
      what those offering same will become. Offer Him empty and
      presumptuous high church as theatre and be not surprised when those
      offering such
      things become rather ridiculously silly themselves. In very sad
      fact, either empty extreme will make people pathetically silly and
      spiritually impoverished besides.

      St. Benedict says far less about personal prayer than the
      Carmelites, but everything he says here would warm the hearts of
      Sts. Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross. The "short and pure"
      prayer that he recommends was already a great favorite of the
      Desert Fathers and Mothers. They loved "one-liners", often just
      repeating "O God, come to my assistance," or other phrases from
      the Psalms, many of which figure in the Office to our own day.

      This is another truly Benedictine form of prayer, one that can be
      started without any preparation at all, the "short and pure"
      aspirations repeated from the heart. The Jesus Prayer would work
      well here, or any other of a number of phrases from devotional
      prayer or
      Scripture. Like the early Desert monastics, one may weave them into
      virtually any part of the day or work.

      Even a surprise moment of solitude on an elevator is a chance for a
      few good Jesus Prayers! In line at the grocery store one could
      choose to only read the scandal sheet headlines every other day
      (LOL!) and use some of that time for aspirations instead.
      Opportunities abound! The shortness of this prayer is perfect for
      busy Oblates, a real connection to our Benedictine family and way
      that is accessible to all.

      We can get distracted when repeating a one-line prayer many times.
      On the one hand, one should struggle to remain focused, but on the
      other, a Desert Father once quipped that, if God counted
      distraction at Psalmody, no one could be saved! I have always taken
      great
      comfort in that saying, since frequently (like, say, daily...) I
      more closely resemble a Tibetan prayer wheel than a praying,
      conscious monk. It may be folly, but I hope God is pleased with
      even those "prayer wheel" times. Another Desert saying has it that,
      even when we are distracted at prayer, it still annoys the demons
      and is worth at least that!!

      A very Benedictine warning here that the Carmelites would strongly
      approve: prayer is only to be prolonged by "inspiration of divine
      grace." When God does let us feel something wonderful in prayer, a
      very understandable temptation is to hang onto the feeling, to
      prolong it, to produce it again. Doesn't work, folks, and it could
      very well turn into a trap. When God prolongs prayer or gives us
      graces, fine! Relax, swim in His grace and enjoy it, but never,
      ever try to fill the pool for a quick dip on your own. That's not
      the way prayer- or God- works.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome,OSB
      http:www.stmarysmonastery.org

    • carmelitanum
      Message 78 of 78 , Oct 14, 2014

        Please continue prays for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        148-150);
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        REFLECTION

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!