Holy Rule for Oct. 20

    Message 1 of 78 , Oct 19, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

      Shirley, having a pacemaker put in.

      Gregory, in psych hospital after a suicide attempt and for his return to the Sacraments,

      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet, "I have rendered praise
      to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us if we
      perform the Offices of our service at the time of the Morning
      Office, of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None, of Vespers and of
      Compline, since it was of these day Hours that he said, "Seven
      times in the day I have rendered praise to You." For as to the
      Night Office the same Prophet says, "In the middle of the night I
      arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator "for
      the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164) at these times: the
      Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline; and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      REFLECTION

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the
      Hours of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir
      or say the Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our
      Creator 'for the judgments of His justice' "

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough
      to us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not,
      the reason we praise God as Benedictines is to thank Him for ALL
      His decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly
      valid and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for
      every acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we
      find ourselves today, in His arms, even when we cannot feel His
      arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves which were not
      reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went wrong, the
      illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone out with
      twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING that has
      shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for in the
      Office.

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be
      thankful that the apparently great stuff worked out. Nor am I
      saying all the bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own
      fault, but ALL of it is turned to good by God, and that is worth
      singing about! All of
      it! If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness
      in the darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can
      see it in everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never
      know fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything
      but thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has
      received a really great gift and is astounded at such generosity.
      Thanks, God. And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all
      along, didn't You?

      Own it, beloveds, God's will truly IS best. All is really mercy and
      grace! All! And, uh, oh yeah- Alleluia!!!!!!!!!

    • carmelitanum
      Message 78 of 78 , Oct 14, 2014

        Please continue prays for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

        The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
        recited straight through without an antiphon.
        After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
        then Psalms 117 and 62,
        the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
        148-150);
        then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
        the responsory, the verse,
        the canticle from the Gospel book,
        the litany and so the end.

        REFLECTION

        Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
        slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
        things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
        generally make it through the hoop!

        St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
        and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
        that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
        monastics may have time to gather.

        Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
        late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
        or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
        delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
        two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
        make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
        are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
        and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

        Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
        conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
        is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
        standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
        failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

        Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
        intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
        such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
        who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
        love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
        win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
        not the presumed "offender."

        St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
        shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
        about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
        or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
        should pass it on!