Brother Jerome's Reflection: Oct 15

  • michael_oblate (aka carmelitanum)
    Message 1 of 78 , Oct 14, 2009

      Elaine's Dad, suffering from Alzheimer's and for Elaine and all his family.

      Sherrie, obese and multiple medical problems, possibly diabetic.

      Dave, drugs and other life problems, and for his worried parents.

      Please pray for Gemma. She is suffering now from the H1N1 flu and she is 3 years old. Also, for Suheil and all his family.

      UPDATE: Cecelia for whom we prayed for yesterday has lymphoma, 2 spots. Her doctor is trying to get her a soonest appointment at the University of Michigan Oncology Dept.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have taken their own lives.+

      Chapter 12: How the Morning Office Is to Be Said

      The Morning Office on Sunday shall begin with Psalm 66
      recited straight through without an antiphon.
      After that let Psalm 50 be said with "Alleluia,"
      then Psalms 117 and 62,
      the Canticle of Blessing (Benedicite) and the Psalms of praise (Ps.
      148-150);
      then a lesson from the Apocalypse to be recited by heart,
      the responsory, the verse,
      the canticle from the Gospel book,
      the litany and so the end.

      REFLECTION

      Ever notice how a loving parent makes allowances so the kids WON'T
      slip up or be discouraged? Good teachers do the same thing. Some
      things are made so deliberately easy that all of the students can
      generally make it through the hoop!

      St. Benedict does this with both morning Offices, beginning Vigils
      and Lauds with 2 psalms that are said every day. He even stresses
      that, at Lauds, the 66th Psalm is to be said slowly, so that the
      monastics may have time to gather.

      Those two Offices are the time people are most likely to be running
      late, either because they had to bound out of bed at the last minute,
      or because the "necessities of nature" break between Vigils and Lauds
      delayed them unexpectedly. It is worth noting that only with these
      two Offices, when tardiness can so easily occur, does the Holy Rule
      make such allowance. For a further bit of trivia, these four Psalms
      are repeated every day: one could miss them several times in a week
      and still have said all 150 Psalms in that week.

      Sometimes people (including, alas, ourselves!) can make unrealistic
      conditions and demand that others meet them. The concept of failure
      is built into those demands. We fence people about with our own
      standards that they could not possibly meet, then condemn them for
      failing to meet them! What a sad and tragic game.

      Take a self-inventory and check to see if there is anyone you dislike so
      intensely that they cannot be right, no matter what they do. If there are any
      such folks, it's time for you to change, not them! I recall, alas, one pastor
      who annoyed me so much that even when he used incense (something I ordinarily
      love,) I carped to myself that he didn't do it right. With me, he just could NOT
      win. Sigh... When things get that bad, it's ourselves who need the overhaul,
      not the presumed "offender."

      St. Benedict, by his example, teaches us to be the exact opposite. He
      shows us that we should be gentle and loving, that we should not be
      about setting burdens on others that are guaranteed to make them fail
      or quit or be discouraged. If we have received such kindness, we
      should pass it on!

      jeromeleo@
      Petersham, MA
    • carmelitanum