Brother Jerome's Reflection: Oct 13

  • michael_oblate (aka carmelitanum)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2009

      Chris and Ana Marie and family as they bury Chris's father tomorrow, Tuesday,morning

      John Paul, 10, diagnosed with diabetes and scared, and for his parents, Lu and Tony.

      A woman 58 or 59, who suffered a stroke and a brain aneurysm, now in a coma in ICU after brain surgery.

      Kathie's dad has been going down hill not wanting to eat in the last week and yesterday said he is dying. He has had a bad short term memory and has gone into deeper dementia this week. He is now slipping away fast. Pastor on his way.

      Carlyle, a 93 year old bleeder, in the hospital bleeding from his bowels. Will have more tests and transfusions.

      John, who has been without employment since last December and for Carol his wife.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have taken their own lives.+

      Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

      From Easter until the Calends of November
      let the same number of Psalms be kept as prescribed above;
      but no lessons are to be read from the book,
      on account of the shortness of the nights.
      Instead of those three lessons
      let one lesson from the Old Testament be said by heart
      and followed by a short responsory.
      But all the rest should be done as has been said;
      that is to say that never fewer than twelve Psalms
      should be said at the Night Office,
      not counting Psalm 3 and Psalm 94.

      REFLECTION

      The gentleness of St. Benedict, his considerate thoughtfulness is
      again apparent here. Another principle comes to mind, as well. The
      Office is important, but it revolves WITH us to a certain extent. It
      is the axis our day turns on, but that axis may be shortened by the
      season. There are circumstances under which even the Work of God
      itself changes for us. Was humanity made for the Sabbath, or the
      Sabbath for humanity?

      The rhythm here is pure agriculture: when the sun rises
      sooner, so do the farm chores, which have no human seasonal clocks to
      tell them otherwise! Critters have to be cared for, milked and
      pastured according to their clocks, not ours. The upshot of this is
      that, for nearly 1,500 years, until the late 1960's, Benedictines
      followed the Holy Rule's advice and said Matins differently in the
      summer and winter, even in the cities. (It is worthy of note that, at
      least in the U.S., agricultural enterprises were being abandoned at
      about the same time as no longer economically feasible in many
      houses.)

      Put another spin on this and you will find, especially if you are an
      Oblate, that St. Benedict intends at least some aspects of his
      monastic program to adapt themselves to the environment in which the
      monastic lives. Do not wear yourself out trying to make the very
      square peg of a relentless monastic life fit into the intractably
      round hole of a life in the world.

      Don't try to make your kids (or spouse!) understand that you are
      going to be monastic, no matter whether they are or aren't. For one
      thing, if you in any way diminish your primary vocation, like
      marriage or parenthood, you are not going to be monastic at all!
      For another thing, such tactics might drive them even farther from
      the faith you hope to share and instill in them.

      The key to our struggle is obedience and humility, not control of others.
      Our oblation must be done in addition to our sacramental and primary
      vocations, never instead of them.

    • carmelitanum
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2014

        Please continue to pray for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Please pray for healing for Aaron who begins medical treatment Monday. (Somehow I lost the email address for the person who submitted this. Sorry for not replying directly.)

        Lord, help us all as You know and will.
        Thanks so much. JL

        Chapter 10: How the Night Office Is to Be Said in Summer Time

        From Easter until the Calends of November