Brother Jerome's Reflection: Oct 9

  • michael_oblate (aka carmelitanum)
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2009

      +Please pray the Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have taken their own lives.+

      The eleventh degree of humility
      is that when a monk speaks
      he do so gently and without laughter,
      humbly and seriously,
      in few and sensible words,
      and that he be not noisy in his speech.
      It is written,
      "A wise man is known by the fewness of his words"(Sextus,
      Enchidirion, 134 or 145).

      REFLECTION

      OK, writing as one who is 40% deaf, let me try to throw some light on
      what this step is NOT. Remember that Benedictines espouse balance and
      that balance should avoid both extremes.

      I have always been hard of hearing, so I have long noted a tendency
      by some to interpret "not noisy" as barely audible. I hardly think
      that's the case. Even talking on the phone to other OSB houses I
      sometimes pick this up: the whispered inflections that one commonly
      only hears in funeral parlors. Just as we should not
      roar or yell when it is uncalled for, neither should we tiptoe about
      whispering when there is no need.

      So, for the last of my soapbox today, we don't yell, but we don't
      whisper, either, unless such adjusted speech is truly necessary.
      (Who, after all, would whisper "Fire," or "Shark,"?) We seek the
      Golden Mean of carefully weighed speech that others can hear.

    • carmelitanum
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 8, 2014

        Please continue to pray for the recovery of our good Brother Jerome.

        Please pray for healing or a happy death (according to God's Perfect Will) for Bill Hemstreet of Sarnia, Ontario. His liver/kidneys/ heart are failing, he has been given perhaps a few days and is praying he will live long enough to see his daughters and grandchildren.

        Please pray for healing for fourteen year old Nathaniel, who has been diagnosed with a tumor behind his eye.  The good news is that it is contained in the eye socket, and has not penetrated brain tissue.  He will undergo stage one of surgical intervention Tuesday, 10-07-14) to determine further treatment. Prayers too for Nathaniel's extended family and friends.

         Please pray for John; good results in his annual Colonscopy.

        Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of a young man, Jim, age 36, who committed suicide and his family who mourns for him.

        Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of Andy, who took his own life when he was just 22 years old, 19 long years ago.

        Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of a young man, Jim, age 36, who committed suicide and his family who mourns for him.

        Lord, help us all as You know
        praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        St. Mary's Monastery - the Benedictine monks of Petersham, MA USA.