  • jeromeleo@stmarysmonastery.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009

      Prayers, please, for Art Columba, on this feast of Bl. Columba Marmion, and for all our Columbas and Marmions.

      Deo gratias, Kyle and Alan, whose swine flu we prayed for, are on the mend.

      Please pray for a Special Intention: That Divine Mercy will shine upon one deceased and that the Holy Spirit will enlighten another soul and a grieving family to the Wonders of Almighty God.

      Damon, five years old now and back in the hospital with HiNi flu. He still cannot speak or walk, and reasoning seems to be severely affected. Prayers, please for his speedy recovery and for his caregivers. Prayers as well for his parents, Ryan and Jenny, as their son struggles continuously with things that are everyday behaviors and accomplishments for children even three years younger.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best.
      All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      As the saying goes, friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
      There's something to that, something we all know and demonstrate when
      something pleases us so much that we just can't wait to tell someone
      else about it. Unfortunately, we don't often show the same eagerness
      when something is wrong. Granted, our sorrows and griefs may be
      shared, but often our most treacherous wounds and illnesses are not.
      Neither are we particularly eager to let our weakest areas show.

      Few things can be more pathetic (or more frustrating to those who
      love them!) than a patient's refusal to tell the doctor that
      something is wrong out of some misguided fear. "I was afraid he'd
      tell me it was cancer!" Well, he might have, and it might be, but if
      he doesn't know, he cannot treat it in time and it is a nearly
      certain death sentence. Beyond that, what a waste it is for all the
      times we left things untreated out of fears that were totally unfounded!

      So it is with the spiritual life, the monastic struggle, and even
      with 12 step recovery programs. Our wounds must be exposed and shared
      if they are to heal. I can say from personal experience that, at some
      of the worst crisis times in my own vocation, I resolutely kept my
      mouth shut. Part of that was stupidly not wishing to upset anybody,
      but another part was afraid that if I did say something, they'd help! God
      got me through those times. Apparently He insisted on doing so, because He
      got precious little help from me.

      For heaven's sake- literally- if you belong to a Church that has a tradition
      sacramental Confession, GO! Christ left us that sacrament for a reason,
      not out of whimsy or folly. He had too short a public life to fritter His
      time away and leave us non-essentials. Confession is a necessary and very
      effective medicine! Go!

      Pick whichever popular image you wish for the monastery, school of
      the Lord's service or hospital, but neither of them are going to be
      much good if you are unwilling to let anyone know what you need to
      learn or what ails you. Face it, apart from their primary goals of
      education and healing, neither school nor hospital has much to offer
      in the way of a vacation resort. We come here because we ARE unwise
      and unwell. Pretending otherwise is a huge disservice to ourselves.

      #ygrp-mkp { BORDER-RIGHT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 14px; BORDER-TOP: #d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 14px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 14px 0px; BORDER-LEFT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d8d8d8 1px solid; FONT-FAMILY: Arial}#ygrp-mkp HR { BORDER-RIGHT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d8d8d8 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d8d8d8 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d8d8d8 1px solid}#ygrp-mkp #hd { FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 85%; MARGIN: 10px 0px; COLOR: #628c2a; LINE-HEIGHT: 122%}#ygrp-mkp #ads { MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px}#ygrp-mkp .ad { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px}#ygrp-mkp .ad A { COLOR: #0000ff; TEXT-DECORATION: none}