Holy Rule for Oct. 1

    Message 1 of 209 , Sep 30, 2009

      Abbot Gabriel and Br. Raphael, both very ill.

      Sister Germaine, awaiting tests for possible cancer.

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there are few human beings on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation. On a purely human level, that would be
      most unwise. But we are not dealing with a human level here.

      We do follow without hesitation, but we do it for love, not for wisdom.
      We do it for love, not for taste or class or savoir faire. We do it for love,
      not because the superior is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We
      don't do it because of the superior at all, if we are going about things
      the right way. Our obedience must be consistent, as must our faith, no
      matter who is in charge. We do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright rubbish that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God. None but God can guarantee one's safety in holiness
      in the midst of such a situation. It truly is Him we obey.

      Mother or Father sometimes quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
      wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us and for them. Many
      people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have little
      to do with God!

      They do it unwittingly, they may even do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
      and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
      actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will and of His infinite Divine Mercy which surrounds us.
      Trust Him!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.