Holy Rule for Sept. 2

    Message 1 of 209 , Sep 1, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of the following, and for all who mourn them:

      Catherine, our Fr. Bede's sister, to whom he was very close, and for her husband, Gus and children, Gus Jr. and Mary Catherine, and for Fr. Bede and her other siblings, Mary Teresa, Frances, Joseph and Margaret.

      Fr. Michael Komechak, OSB, of St. Procopius Abbey, and for his Community and family.

      Please pray for the community of St. Andrew's Abbey in Valyermo. They have had to evacuate because of the massive fires in the area. These fires are totally out of control and are threatening thousands of homes. Prayers for Cheryl and Sue, two Oblates whose homes are among those threatened, though they have not had to evacuate yet.

      Prayers please for a successful interview today for John, and the award of a research contract into vocational education and training for young people.

      Chris' brother who was just diagnosed with stomach cancer.

      Sara who has cancer.

      Prayers of thanksgiving for Ned who is recovering from a bad motorcycle accident.

      Sara with brain seizures of unknown origin.

      Tom, who is dying of cancer.

      John, still looking for a job and has been unemployed for a very long time.

      Also for a special intention for a friend.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      January 2, May 3, September 2
      Prologue

      Let us arise, then, at last,
      for the Scripture stirs us up, saying,
      "Now is the hour for us to rise from sleep" (Rom. 18:11).
      Let us open our eyes to the deifying light,
      let us hear with attentive ears
      the warning which the divine voice cries daily to us,
      "Today if you hear His voice,
      harden not your hearts" (Ps. 94:8).
      And again,
      "Whoever has ears to hear,
      hear what the Spirit says to the churches" (Matt. 11-15; Apoc. 2:7).
      And what does He say?
      "Come, My children, listen to Me;
      I will teach you the fear of the Lord" (Ps. 33:12).
      "Run while you have the light of life,
      lest the darkness of death overtake you" (John 12:35).

      REFLECTION

      St. Benedict, just by virtue of the period in which he lived, would
      have been rather more attuned to the Eastern Church Fathers than
      many in the West are today. Not for nothing does he also recommend
      St. Basil's Rule to his monastics! Given all this, the
      phrase "deifying light", which probably strikes most Westerners as
      just a lovely bit of poetry, would ring altogether different bells
      in Eastern minds, and may well have rung those bells in the mind of
      St. Benedict himself.

      Deification, the process of humanity becoming more God-like, is a
      central theme of Eastern spirituality, a favorite theme of the
      Fathers and a big central issue in Eastern monasticism. The whole
      idea of the Incarnation is viewed as God becoming Man so that man
      could be deified. (Don't take that term "deified" literally. The
      idea was that people became God-like, participated in His wondrous
      Being, not that they literally became gods!)

      But there was a profound awareness of grace allowing us to share
      in God's life and to become ever more
      like Him, of being ever more intimately united with the Triune
      Life. Put another way, the East would say that we were created in
      the image and likeness of God, but we have lost the likeness.
      Deification, monastic struggle, the spiritual life, all of these
      strive to regain that likeness.

      We so often speak of balance, but what does that balance entail?
      It is this very deification, it is the closest attempt we can make to restore
      the rightness of Eden. It is our halt and lame effort to become what
      God intended us to be, as closely as we can in a fallen world.

      So, as we continue our loving Father's pep talk at the beginning of
      his Holy Rule, let us resolve to never again let that
      phrase "deifying light" slip past our eyes as just another literary
      device. No way! Deification and Light are what we are all about.
      Shine on, dear brothers and sisters, shine on!

      http://stmarysmonastery.org

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14 4:30 PM
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.