Holy Rule for Aug. 1

    Message 1 of 209 , Jul 31, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Denise, in alcohol rehab facility.

      Sara who is having treatment for ovarian cancer; her husband who is recovering from a serious accident; and her daughter who continues to have seizures.

      John, still seeking work and he has been trying for so very long to find a job.

      Martha, hurting from an ended relationship.

      Chapter 50: On Sisters Who are Working Far From the Oratory or Are on
      a Journey

      Those sisters who are working at a great distance
      and cannot get to the oratory at the proper time --
      the Abbess judging that such is the case --
      shall perform the Work of God
      in the place where they are working,
      bending their knees in reverence before God.

      Likewise those who have been sent on a journey
      shall not let the appointed Hours pass by,
      but shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can
      and not neglect to render the task of their service.

      REFLECTION

      Monastics not at home- including Oblates who live elsewhere-
      "...shall say the Office by themselves as well as they can." This is
      a very important qualifying phrase. Over the several years I have
      been in e mail contact with hundreds of Oblates, this question arises
      in one form or another again and again, often with a number of
      solutions offered equal to the number of people answering the
      question.

      "...as well as they can." That means every instance of the Oblate's
      life must be taken into account: work, marriage, parenthood. Some
      Oblates can and do say the whole Office. For others, the chronic
      frustration at NOT being able to might be more constructively given
      up. It destroys peace and holds humility at bay. Many of us just
      cannot, for one reason or another do it all. Admitting that is a
      great boon of truth and truth, after all, is humility!

      Most monasteries today have embraced schemes of the Office that are
      not portable, even for their own monastics. Do the best you can. That
      may be the Roman Office, the Monastic Diurnal, or part thereof,
      or it may be something else for you, but just do the best you can in
      your current circumstance.

      Whatever that circumstance may be, it is where God has placed you at
      this moment. There is a great holiness and truthfulness in starting
      from where we are. It's really the only way to begin a journey anyhow
      (you can't depart from where you are not yet!) so why not shrug your
      shoulders and start shuffling along from here and now and today.
      All those hassles, all that inaccessible frustration of location or
      time, all that we THINK stands in the way are truly portals of mercy
      and grace, would we but let them open!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14 4:30 PM
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.