Holy Rule for July 2

    Message 1 of 209 , Jun 30, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of a woman who daily has to face the hostility of a colleague at work. The hostility has gotten to a point where even the boss has had to step in and try to help, but nothing is working. Prayer is probably the only answer.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much.

      Because I have to be in Boston most of Wednesday, I am sending the Holy Rule for July 2 out today. Any other prayer requests received will appear with the July 3 post. Thanks! BJL

      March 2, July 2, November 1
      Chapter 25: On Weightier Faults

      Let the brother who is guilty of a weightier fault
      be excluded both from the table and from the oratory.
      Let none of the brethren join him
      either for company or for conversation.
      Let him be alone at the work assigned him,
      abiding in penitential sorrow
      and pondering that terrible sentence of the Apostle
      where he says that a man of that kind is handed over
      for the destruction of the flesh,
      that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord (1 Cor. 5:5).
      Let him take his meals alone
      in the measure and at the hour
      which the Abbot shall consider suitable for him.
      He shall not be blessed by those who pass by,
      nor shall the food that is given him be blessed.

      REFLECTION

      The world's concept of punishment is alien to Benedictine values. The
      world often sees punishment as nothing other than retribution. Few
      today would think of prisons (at least in my country,) as places of
      reform or moral rehabilitation. Quite the reverse!

      We want offenders to pay and we want them removed from our view
      and out of harm's way. We often even want them dead, but we do not much
      care whether or not they reform. In fact, we have little faith that they will
      and even less hope of that given the prisons in which we have warehoused them.
      The world wants problems removed, not solved, not converted.

      With St. Benedict, there is no reason for punishment other than
      correction and hope of conversion. Only when the hope of those are
      gone does he demand expulsion. The familial nature of Benedictine
      life means that we have to hold on as long as a possibility of cure
      seems to exist. Like any family, we are committed to one another
      through a lot of thick or thin and there is no shortage of either!!

      However, and some families sadly know this, too, sometimes that hope
      is dashed by the offender, the only one who has ultimate power in
      this process. Once a monastic is corrected or punished, the real
      outcome lies pretty much in the monastic's control. One can profit
      from the correction and grow, or one can stubbornly rebel and wither.

      Sometimes punishment may seem mean, but, believe me, it is really the
      most necessary form of love at times. Charity could not leave such
      wounds undressed. If it did, one would have a lot to answer for to
      God one day. Real love does not ignore, real love does not take the
      easiest route. Real love is often forced, even bravely willing, to name the
      horse on the dining room table that other diners ignore.This is as perfectly
      true of families and workplaces as it is of monasteries. There is a lot of
      wisdom
      here for all!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.