Holy Rule for June 29

    Message 1 of 209 , Jun 28, 2009

      Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul

      A very Roman Catholic reminder here: all who use a religious article blessed by
      the Pope or any bishop on the Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul may gain a plenary
      indulgence, under the usual conditions of Confession and Communion within 8
      days, freedom from attachment to all sin, and with the addition of the Apostles
      Creed to the usual prayers for the Pope's intentions.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all taking care of them:

      Adrian, oral surgery on his back molars.

      Colin, heart trouble, waiting to move to a cardiac specialty hospital.

      Bill, going through a dark night period in his spiritual life.

      George and an estranged sibling who is trying to make amends.

      Please pray that Lainie does exceedingly well in her 6 hour exam on Tuesday, June 30.
      Please pray that Brandon focuses on God, his health, and motivation.

      A blessed Solemnity of Ss. Peter and Paul to all, and special prayers for all
      celebrating their nameday to day.

      Chapter 22: How the Sisters Are to Sleep

      Let each one sleep in a separate bed.
      Let them receive bedding suitable to their manner of life,
      according to the Abbess's directions.
      If possible let all sleep in one place;
      but if the number does not allow this,
      let them take their rest by tens or twenties
      with the seniors who have charge of them.

      A candle shall be kept burning in the room until morning.

      Let them sleep clothed and girded with belts or cords --
      but not with their knives at their sides,
      lest they cut themselves in their sleep --
      and thus be always ready to rise without delay
      when the signal is given
      and hasten to be before one another at the Work of God,
      yet with all gravity and decorum.

      The younger shall not have beds next to one another,
      but among those of the older ones.

      When they rise for the Work of God
      let them gently encourage one another,
      that the drowsy may have no excuse.

      REFLECTION

      Hastening "yet with all gravity and decorum" has prompted many a
      community joke, many a wry comment as one ran most ungracefully,
      parts of the habit flapping wildly in the breeze, to whatever the
      bell was about to make one late for! St. Benedict far antedates the
      Three Stooges, but he still took precautions to ensure that we would
      not look EXACTLY like Moe, Larry and Curly when we went to choir or
      dinner! Admittedly, some of our human tendency still arises to give a
      partial glimpse of that comedic trio, but, as always, the picture is
      balanced!

      First off, a practical reason for
      the lamp may be found in preventing those whom nature calls from sleep
      from tripping all over other beds on their way to answer the call.

      Even more importantly, the elderly may have problems during the
      night if their health is declining. Hale and hearty (and hopefully easily
      awakened!) juniors nearby promise them assistance, if needed. However,
      if you want a humorous take on the knives issue, it may have been to
      prevent mayhem and murder of snorers, an idea which has occurred
      to many light sleepers!

      Of course, dormitory sleeping is a thing of the past in our Order
      today, but its nice to see that thoughtfulness behind its original
      expression in the Holy Rule. There's a bit of the mother in St.
      Benedict, going out of his way to mention a small detail like not
      sleeping with knives. It is worthy of note, however, that St.
      Benedict, as always is MODERATELY maternal, not neurotically so! He
      doesn't get all bent out of shape, but he cares greatly and deeply.

      One of the most beautiful images in this passage is the exhortation
      to "gently encourage one another" at the hour of rising. Remember
      that the strictest silence of all prevailed at this time. Now picture
      the monastics gently encouraging one another! With no words, there
      had to be a lot of touch, a lot of gentle smiles, a lot of warmth and
      care expressed NON-verbally.

      A very good idea of how loving a monastic is can be had by disturbing
      their silence (or sleep, I imagine!!) Is the reaction cross and
      withering? Watch out for that one! Is there a smile, even a warm one,
      a reaction of sweetness? Well, when silence is over, that is a
      monastic to whose words you may want to listen carefully.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.