Holy Rule for June 11

    Message 1 of 209 , Jun 10, 2009

      Prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Richard and Mary Lou, celebrating
      their 36th year of marriage yesterday, and for Matt and Bette, celebrating 15
      years today. Prayers for Jean Sheridan, on her birthday. I think she may be 39.
      Prayers for C., celebrating 23 years in AA. Deo gratias for all!

      Cindy, 32, stage four cervical cancer, and for her husband, Gary, serving in Iraq and their son, Michael, 5.

      Greg, pneumonia and multiple myeloma.

      R. who is very ill and possibly near to death and for the accompanying chaotic family situation. That all of their suffering may lead them all home to God while there is still time and for R.'s happy death, should God want to call her at this time.

      Prayers for Ann Marie for the Holy Sprit to guide her
      in all ways in assisting with the ACT conference in Sept., to fill her with the strength,ways to accomplish the responsibility that has been given to her. That she not let these duties take her eyes off of the Blessed Trinity & Our Lady.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      February 10, June 11, October 11
      Chapter 8: On the Divine Office During the Night

      In the winter time,
      that is from the Calends of November until Easter,
      the sisters shall rise
      at what is calculated to be the eighth hour of the night,
      so that they may sleep somewhat longer than half the night
      and rise with their rest completed.
      And the time that remains after the Night Office
      should be spent in study
      by those sisters who need a better knowledge of the Psalter
      or the lessons.

      From Easter to the aforesaid Calends of November,
      the hour of rising should be so arranged that the Morning Office,
      which is to be said at daybreak,
      will follow the Night Office after a very short interval,
      during which they may go out for the necessities of nature.

      REFLECTION

      In St. Benedict's time, and for centuries afterwards, life on a self-sustaining
      farm, which monasteries were supposed to be, was far more difficult and
      time consuming than it would be today. The simplest things that we now do
      with the flick of a switch were big deals, involving lots of human workers and
      every available daylight hour.

      Hence, the monks got up early, very early, to get in much of their monastic day
      before the sun (and the critters!) rose for the day. There was, of course, a
      penitential aspect to this early rising, too, and the ancient Christian practice
      of the night vigil.

      There's at least a possible hint for Oblates of today in all this. Get up a bit
      earlier if you can, and devote those silent and dark morning hours or minutes to
      your monastic endeavors. Knock off a late TV favorite and go to bed a tad
      earlier. We always find time for what we love most. If, however, one is married
      and has a spouse that doesn't want one to blissfully retire at 7:30 or so, this
      will not work. Marriage is a primary, sacramental vocation and demands precedence.

      Two very human glimpses into the personality of St. Benedict here. He
      is thoughtful and kind, making sure the monastics have time for a
      bathroom run and he is not prudish about mentioning it. Its part of
      the human and part of family life. As casually as a Mother asks young
      children if anybody "has to go" before a trip, he throws out mention
      of the fact that not everyone could make it through two long services
      without great discomfort!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.