Holy Rule for June 9

    Message 1 of 209 , Jun 8, 2009

      Prayers for St. Scholastica Priory and their building project, also as they blend into their community the four nuns from Tickfaw, now permanently resident here.

      Prayers, please, for the eternal rest of Philippe, for his sister, Carine, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

      Prayers for the eternal rest of Bruce, a teen who jumped off a cruise ship in the presence of his family, very, very hard for them, prayers for them and all who mourn him.

      Deo Gratias! Leon, stage 4 cancer, for whom we've prayed, is remarkably better. Tumor is shrinking, he has regained some movement of limbs, and has been released from the hospital to rest and recup. at home! He and his family, Kent and Claire, thank all who have prayed, as they see this as a miracle. Continued prayers, please.

      Prayers please for Ashley, 24, suffering from the ill effects of lupus.

      Prayers for George, beginning a new job on June 15.

      Prayers for Tammy waiting for a call to start a new job, also for the heart surgery she needs. Prayers for her neighbours' noisiness that keeps her up, so she can get much needed rest.

      Prayers for Shannon and Jason that they turn their lives to God and get out of their addictions.

      Prayers for Marj that she remain cancer free and regains her ability to walk and be independent.

      Prayers, please for Chad and Jessica. They love each other and wish to marry, but she is staunchly RC and he has been raised a Baptist.

      Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The eleventh degree of humility
      is that when a monk speaks
      he do so gently and without laughter,
      humbly and seriously,
      in few and sensible words,
      and that he be not noisy in his speech.
      It is written,
      "A wise man is known by the fewness of his words"(Sextus,
      Enchidirion, 134 or 145).

      REFLECTION

      OK, writing as one who is 40% deaf, let me try to throw some light on
      what this step is NOT. Remember that Benedictines espouse balance and
      that balance should avoid both extremes.

      I have always been hard of hearing, so I have long noted a tendency
      by some to interpret "not noisy" as barely audible. I hardly think
      that's the case. Even talking on the phone to other OSB houses I
      sometimes pick this up: the whispered inflections that one commonly
      only hears in funeral parlors. Just as we should not
      roar or yell when it is uncalled for, neither should we tiptoe about
      whispering when there is no need.

      So, for the last of my soapbox today, we don't yell, but we don't
      whisper, either, unless such adjusted speech is truly necessary.
      (Who, after all, would whisper "Fire," or "Shark,"?) We seek the
      Golden Mean of carefully weighed speech that others can hear.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14 4:30 PM
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.