Holy Rule for June 3

    Message 1 of 209 , Jun 2, 2009

      Prayers for the eternal rest of the soul of Fr. Thomas Berry, 94, Passionist priest and noted environmentalist who died June 1.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of Jacob, having a biopsy on Thursday. There is a mass behind his left eye between the eye and the brain. He is only 11. Has been having severe headaches and periodic blurred vision although the vision tests at 20/20. Prayers, too, for his family, especially his Mom.

      Prayers for Dot, depression after several losses of loved ones due to death and for their eternal rest.

      Prayers, please, for me today, on my 60th birthday.

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      A caution here: the Holy Rule uses the Septuagint version's numbering
      of the Psalms, not the Hebrew. Since most Bibles today use the latter
      system, even many Catholic editions, you might find that the Psalm
      referred to in this passage, which I strongly recommend you read
      through, is 32, not 31.

      Psalm 31 (32) is a wonderful exposition of sin and forgiveness. It
      begins by recounting the joy of one whose sin has been forgiven, then
      proceeds to unfold how concealing sin affects one and confessing sin
      heals one. In v. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
      Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
      frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
      hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
      summer's heat."

      Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
      our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted (though that, too will
      eventually happen,) one's mind and spirit are trashed, laid low by
      the relentless fear of discovery. It's very true that one can run,
      but not hide. It is also true that, without the peace such shameful
      hiding steals from us, we shall have a MUCH harder time with our spiritual

      What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
      travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
      who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
      kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
      always had to fear. This is not what Jesus called us to.

      One may not belong to a tradition which practices sacramental
      confession, but all of us need the abscesses of our secret guilt
      lanced and drained somehow. AA, a spiritual program which can fit
      itself to any religion or no religion, insists that without confession to at
      least one other trustworthy person, our faults are likely to rule us forever.
      Don't spill your beans to just anyone, but don't hold them festering
      within, either! [A heavy PS, too: if you do belong to a Church that
      has sacramental Confession, GO!! Too many put that off at great
      risk and harm to themselves.]

      What keeps us chained to our dirty secrets is lack of faith, lack of
      trust: no one will love me if they know this, not God, not anyone.
      Well, the ending verses of Psalm 31(32) deal quite neatly with this

      "Many sorrows have the wicked, but those who trust in the Lord,
      loving mercy surrounds them. Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, exult, you
      just! O come, ring out your joy, all you upright of heart!" (Ps.

      Not only does God forgive, but the guilty one now freed is accounted
      as among the just and the upright of heart, without any further ado.
      Now THAT is Divine Mercy! No heart is more full of such infinite
      mercy than the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Trust Him!

      Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You. Jesus, meek and
      humble of Heart, make our hearts like unto Yours.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.
        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.