Holy Rule for June 2

    Message 1 of 208 , Jun 1, 2009

      Prayers continued, please, for Virginia. She has now been admitted to Hospice and the cancer seems to have spread to her brain. Prayers for her happy death and for all those taking care of her and all who will mourn her.

      Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folllowing, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Deo gratias for Debra. We prayed for her at exam time and she passed and has now been awarded her Master's degree. (Some prayers to St. Jospeh of Cupertino there, too. She thanks all who prayed.)

      Leann, 49, 2 heart attacks and her mother is stuck in Canada and cannot get down to her daughter's side.

      Romel and Jameson, very special intentions.

      Deo Gratias! Cathy, for whom we prayed for her breast cancer surgery, has had good news. Only one lymph node was involved, which surprised her doctor. She still needs prayers, as treatment starts, but at least she is more hopeful than before.

      Robert, very severe faith crisis.

      Steve, 13, muscular dystrophy, having surgery to place a rod in his back.

      Marissa, turning 22 this Wednesday. Happy birthday!

      Pat and her husband, their son dropped dead in the street, only in his forties. Pat and the son were in another country at the time. Prayers for all.

      Joe, divorcing his wife who was apparently unfaithful to him. Prayers for all concerned.

      The fourth degree of humility
      and contradictions
      and even any kind of injustice,
      For the Scripture says,
      "The one who perseveres to the end,
      and again

      And to show how those who are faithful
      8:36).
      they go on with joy to declare,
      "But in all these trials we conquer,
      "You have tested us, O God;
      You have brought us into a snare;
      it goes on to say,

      Moreover, by their patience
      in adversities and injuries:
      when forced to go a mile, they go two;

      me." Neither is true.

      Please drop that TV image of perfect models, who flit from flower to
      flower in life beamingly, fraught with about as much stress as a
      butterfly in a climate-controlled greenhouse in full bloom. That
      image will harm you. The Holy Rule and Scripture were not
      written for television's perfect, clueless potted plants. They were written
      for strays and plodders like ourselves.

      can... the fridge broke today.

      the middle of things.

      when that sort of thing didn't often happen. +Marion was wise enough

      him.

      name!)

      Message 208 of 208 , Oct 5, 2009

        PLEASE NOTE THAT I WILL BE AWAY FROM OCT. 6-14. ON THOSE DAYS, PLEASE SEND PRAYER REQUESTS TO MICHAEL LOPICCOLO. If you are on his list or my Holy Rule list, you can just reply to the Holy Rule post, otherwise, send them to carmelitanum@...

        Bishop Rawsthorne, for whom we prayed as a member of the African Synod, is staying at the Venerable English College in Rome, where one of our readers, Sr. Mary Joseph, OSB, works. She told him that he was on our list for prayers and he was delighted and asked that thanks be extended to all. Small world! Continued prayers for him and the Synod, please.

        Prayers for all Carthusians on the feast of St. Bruno, their founder. They spend their lives praying for the world, for all of us, let us return the favor.

        Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

        Deo gratias, for Maggi, free of cancer, now prayers that the lung damage from chemo and radiation may be repaired.

        Heather, about to have tests done on her heart, having a lot of problems with chest and neck pain. Please pray this turns out to be nothing serious.

        Continued prayers for Cheryl and all evacuated by the wildfire in California.

        Cindy who is being operated on today for pancreatic cancer.

        Kelia, in the hospital with abdominal pain and a high white cell count.

        Lord,
        help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

        The eighth degree of humility
        is that a monk do nothing except what is commended
        by the common Rule of the monastery
        and the example of the elders.

        REFLECTION

        Well, this one looks deceptively simple enough. Just try it! I speak
        as one who has frequently failed it and who sometimes* fails it
        still. [* I only fail it on special occasions: Sunday, Monday,
        Tuesday, Wednesday.... you get the picture.] This step of humility,
        by the way, will translate very easily into family life, the
        neighborhood, or the workplace.

        The goal here is not just external uniformity so much as internal
        detachment. We are deeply attached to the things we do. Demanding to
        do things our own way is not humble. When vocation observers come to the
        monastery, for the monks or the nuns, I often see little quirks of
        external piety in church and think: "Well, that'll have to go..."

        One cannot profitably go through monastic formation cherishing the
        notion that one has got it right and one's elders have it wrong. You
        may even be right, or the matter may be completely neutral. (The
        term "optional" comes to mind, but that was NOT used to express
        neutrality!) That's not the issue here. Detachment and humility are.

        When we singularize ourselves without real moral imperative, the
        message given to the whole community is "I know better." That this is
        not warmly received in a junior or newcomer should come as no
        surprise. A monastic family is like any spouse: you had better not
        marry what you hope to change them into, but only what they ARE. If
        we fail this, we change "Thy will be done" into "MY will be done!"
        and we do so with sorry results.

        No spouse is perfect, neither is any family, monastery or job, but if
        you expect to change them right off the bat, you're doomed to woe. In
        monastery and marriage and workplace, the only person you can REALLY
        change is yourself and the sooner you get around to doing that, the
        better for all concerned.

        The sad thing (and I am guilty here!) is that sometimes these things
        we do on our own have nothing to do with piety at all. They are,
        pure and simple, revolt, passive aggression, small, though very
        public ways of expressing our scorn for this or that concept or
        person. Having lived in the Church of the 60's and 70's, I picked up
        the idea of refusal as a kind of non-violent demonstration. Not quite
        as laudable as my youthful self may have thought!

        I also must say that, in those less-than-halcyon days, I picked it up
        from my monastic seniors, just not always the best seniors! I still
        do it at times, and I still wrestle with paring those times down day
        by day. The hardest humility and obedience are to things we truly
        think are dumb and do not matter. The difficulty alone must mean
        there is great potential for growth there.

        An interesting aside here. The dissenter often thinks she is a grand
        and eloquent witness for justice and truth. The stubborn monk thinks
        he has scored a real victory for integrity and correctness. In fact,
        those who live with them often think they're just silly and pathetically
        off the mark. Of the two impressions, this last is closer to truth!

        It is also interesting to note (again, from sorry personal experience,)
        that the rebel often looks at other rebels (with whom he does not agree,
        so they are, of course, WRONG...) as silly. Wow! If one can be so right
        about those other rebels, how come the other monastics aren't right about
        oneself?? Hmmmm....