Holy Rule for May 30

    Message 1 of 209 , May 29, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of David W, who is having brain surgery in a few weeks' time. Apparently a vein is lying on a nerve and every time it pulses it causes him pain. He has been living with it for years, and finally - praise be - it is possible to operate - they hope. He is understandably nervous about having this done, yet can't wait for the pain to stop.

      Lord, help us all as You know
      praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      The second degree of humility
      is that a person love not his own will
      nor take pleasure in satisfying his desires,
      but model his actions on the saying of the Lord,
      "I have come not to do My own will,
      but the will of Him who sent Me" (John 6:38).
      It is written also,
      "Self-will has its punishment,
      but constraint wins a crown."

      REFLECTION

      Occasionally I have been privileged to look after another's pet for them.
      I know when I take care of another's animal friend, I try to be much more
      careful than I usually am about many things. That pet is another's treasure and
      they have trusted me with it. I don't goof off! I take extra care because I know
      how dear my pets have been to me.

      See what I'm getting at? Caring for another's pet done right is an
      example of coming not to do one's own will, but the will of one who
      sent us. Monastic life done right would be looking at the whole of
      our world, life and endeavor as pet care for God. Again and again, from the
      greatest things in life to the smallest, He entrusts us with the care
      of the apples of His eyes.

      That extra care that one would take of a pet or, even more so, a
      child one had been asked to watch, is the attitude we should have to
      everything. This is mindfulness in the highest order. This is what
      happens when the will we are obeying is Someone else's, not our own.
      We take extra care with the things of God because they are His, not
      our own.

      Of course, the ultimate truth is that this step points to the fact
      that NOTHING is really our own, everything is God's. We own nothing
      in the absolute sense, that is, with the freedom to dispense or waste
      or expend or destroy it with no responsibility at all for the common
      good. Christians own things in stewardship for the good of all.

      It may take all of our lives to realize it fully, but we are ALL
      doing pet care for God, all the time, nothing less and nothing more!
      And God, like a pet owner or parent who entrusts dear ones
      to another, loves our carefulness very much and treasures us deeply!
      How deep is our love for one who cares for someone we love, but
      deeper still, infinitely so, is the love of God in this respect. Ah, the warmth
      of His smile at such times!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.