Holy Rule for May 22

    Message 1 of 209 , May 21, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Jill, who has lost her dog companion of nearly 15 years, Jodie, to cancer. She is heartbroken.

      Eileen Healey who lost her husband Michael yesterday and for his eternal rest and all who mourn him.

      The nuns from Stanbrook Abbey, Worcestershire who moved today into their new Stanbrook Abbey at Wass, North Yorkshire.

      For Kathleen and Gorden as they begin married life: That Gorden, who is Wiccan, find his faith in the Lord through Kathleen and may they both know His blessing on a long and happy life together.

      For Sarah and her four children 11-4, as her husband of 15 years ends their marriage. May her estranged husband, Scott, who says he's an atheist, find his way back to the Lord in true repentance, submission and healing. Also, pray that Sarah's treatment for a precancerous condition be successful.

      Lord, help us
      all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

      To fulfill God's commandments daily in one's deeds.
      To love chastity.
      To hate no one.
      Not to be jealous, not to harbor envy.
      Not to love contention.
      To beware of haughtiness.
      And to respect the seniors.
      To love the juniors.
      To pray for one's enemies in the love of Christ.
      To make peace with one's adversary before the sun sets.
      And never to despair of God's mercy.
      These, then, are the tools of the spiritual craft.
      If we employ them unceasingly day and night,
      and return them on the Day of Judgment,
      our compensation from the Lord
      will be that wage He has promised:
      "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
      what God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9).

      Now the workshop
      in which we shall diligently execute all these tasks
      is the enclosure of the monastery
      and stability in the community.

      REFLECTION

      Employ them ALL? "Unceasingly, day and night,"??? Give me a break!
      You have GOT to be kidding. There are lots of these I couldn't pull
      off if I spent a year working on each one alone- and I do NOT have 72
      years left, especially if some are going to take way longer than a
      year a piece. This is beyond me.

      You bet it is, folks! It's beyond all of us, but He isn't kidding,
      and neither is St. Benedict. Both know something that our egocentric
      eyes can miss- it ain't about us or our strength, it is ALL about our total
      weakness and the complete triumph of grace. The effective use of
      these tools is grace and gift. Any successes besides that are nothing
      but clever gymnastics.

      In fact, it is really all about our own wretchedness being lifted up and
      out by the saving act of Jesus Christ: His grace, His help, His salvation.

      Our own efforts without Him are nada, zilch, absolute zero. The closer we come
      to see and know Christ, the clearer this fact becomes.

      One very quick little thought: even the tools we do manage to
      pull off using are not our own, we are to return them on the Day of
      Judgment!!! Hey, before we fall all over ourselves, patting our own
      backs for this or that, we are doing it all with borrowed tools!
      Humbling thought there and a further confirmation of the paragraph
      above!

      We need to ask God for His help and grace to become saints, we need
      to ask Him for the loan of those tools of good works from His workshop.
      The ability to become holy comes from God, from grace. No one at all
      can do it without that. We must cooperate with His grace and mercy
      and gifts. He is not stingy with His grace, but we must ask for all we can use!

      We dare not say we are unable to be holy. Holy is not
      linked to our ability, but to our receptivity to God's grace and His
      mercy and will. He makes up for what is lacking in us, for lacks that
      we could never supply. That's the wonder of all this! God uses our
      weakness to triumph, God uses us to demonstrate His own omnipotence.
      Our frailty becomes His praise. Wow!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.