Holy Rule for May 21

    Message 1 of 209 , May 20, 2009

      Prayers, please, for Jenny, that she not lose her faith and leave the Church.

      To fear the Day of Judgment.
      To be in dread of hell.
      To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
      To keep death daily before one's eyes.
      To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
      To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
      When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
      immediately.
      And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
      To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
      Not to love much talking.
      Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
      Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
      To listen willingly to holy reading.
      To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
      Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
      sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
      Not to fulfill the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
      To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
      herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
      Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
      Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
      holy, that one may be truly so called.

      REFLECTION

      Why manifest one's evil thoughts to a spiritual mother or father?
      Heavens, many in communions that practice Confession have trouble
      enough stammering out our sins with a generic mention of evil
      thoughts, let alone a detailed description of them!

      By the time he wrote this, St. Benedict had no doubt listened to a
      LOT of monastics' confess their evil thoughts. He knew the carefree,
      breezy generalities of those who lacked depth and he also knew the
      excruciating details of the scrupulous, who had too much depth! What
      he must have had to listen to in those years! Why on earth would he
      recommend a practice so difficult for both the father and the
      disciple?

      Because it works, as AA and other Twelve Step members could readily
      tell you. It offers an outside, objective opinion, a more impartial
      estimation of one's progress or lack thereof and a chance to give
      pertinent advice in the struggle.

      You can also get a fairly good barometer of where a person's struggles
      are focused by knowing where she is tempted. Satan does not waste time
      and effort, he does not duplicate services. If you are doing a wonderful job
      of running yourself to hell on a rail in a given area, you can be pretty sure
      he'll leave you alone. Remember, there are the world and the flesh to
      help him out. The devil delegates to one or the other!

      Some of our evil thoughts DO come from us, and these may be very
      informative, but others do not, and these also, give a better picture
      of where we actually are. Real assaults of Satan that are terribly
      noticeable usually come at a time when we are progressing. (Of
      course, there are subtle ones day in, day out, but the biggies
      usually mean we're doing SOMETHING right!) Hideous temptations
      are often a good sign, not a bad one: they can mean our progress has
      riled up the devil's anger.

      AA knew they were offering a spiritual program of recovery to people
      from all faiths, as well as to people of no religious background.
      They knew some Churches had one-on-one confession, others did not, so
      they included it in the 12 steps, stating that each must make known
      to oneself, to God AND to another "the exact nature" of their wrongs.
      Heavy stuff, there, but why?

      Because God, wonderful though He is, often seems not to talk back, or if
      He does, to speak indirectly in ways that many of us miss. Because we
      cannot tell from our own inventory what another person can tell us
      about ourselves: we're too close to the subject to be objective!

      AA just requires a one-time shot, what Catholics would call
      a "general Confession" of all one's past sins. Many people dread it,
      but I have never heard anyone come away from the experience without
      praise for it. What a weight was lifted from them!

      Our fears and shame are so terrible when they are horrible secrets to
      us alone. They paralyze us, wholly or partially, but they ALWAYS impede us.
      Break that panicky isolation, tell the worst and, finding that your
      listener has at least not dropped dead of shock, you are on the
      way to learning something wonderfully necessary. None of us are
      hopeless, none of us are unlovable (or unloved!)

      For all of our Oblates who come from Christian traditions that do not
      practice individual confession, I recommend it- so does St. Benedict!
      If AA members can feel so freed and cleansed and uplifted by one
      shot, think what a regular dose of such reality could do for one!

      A word of caution, however, for those to whom such confession is new.
      AA does not recommend that you spill your sins out to just anyone.
      It can take time to find the right person.

      Religious Confession, howver, is an obligation for Catholics. Finding a regular confessor may take time, but one cannot hold off confessing in the meantime. Pray to the Holy Spirit to find the right priest for you. Ask God to use the priest's lips to speak to you. I can't tell you how many times I have made this last prayer and had it richly answered. God does use His priests.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14 4:30 PM
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.