Holy Rule for May 20

    Message 1 of 209 , May 19 8:04 AM

      Angie, Auto accident on Sunday, Car totaled. She got a bump on her head. More tests have been ordered. Angie has epilepsy. Her 14th month old daughter was with her, but was not hurt, so Deo gratias for that.

      Glenn, that he starts treating Brittany and all his staff members respectfully and that God enlightens Glenn so he sees how rude and negative he is and starts changing. Prayers that God protects Brittany from his negativity and rude comments, that she can be an instrument for helping him to change.

      Sister Germaine, OSB hospitalized for surgery May 11.

      Joe, that he will have the strength he needs to go on his car trip and do the work he needs to do after coming off chemo and still on medication for an infection.

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      These Instruments of Good Works are an excellent compendium and
      summary of Christianity itself. The very order in which they are
      listed seems to be less than accidental: the first and greatest
      commandment that Jesus spoke of, to love God with one's whole being,
      is first, followed by His second commandment of love of neighbor.
      Selections from the 10 commandments follow that. Hence, it would seem
      to be no accident that the exhortations to avoid perjury and
      to "utter truth from heart and mouth" immediately follow one that
      bids us never "to forsake charity."

      Jesus tells us: "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life." St. John
      tells us that "God is Love." There is no way to safely dissociate
      these things from one another.

      God is Truth, so it is little wonder that offending truth offends
      God. The secondary reason that deceit and falsity are so terribly
      wrong is that they destroy trust and make community either less
      possible or totally impossible.

      When I taught in grammar school, many of our children would
      simply lie as a first resort, not a last. It was rather an attitude of
      "Hey, give it a shot! It might fly..." This was not my impression
      alone, but all of the faculty's. It was sad, but we had to accept the
      fact that one could not safely trust many of our children most of the
      time. One could usually dig out the truth one on one, alone, but one
      didn't always have the time or privacy to do so. That made it very
      hard to build any kind of community in an ultimate sense. We loved
      our kids like crazy, but we had to be sadly aware that there was
      sometimes a more than average manipulation of truth.

      That's one thing among children, whom one is trying to lead forth, to
      form. Among adults, it is often flat out fatal to community as soon
      as noticed. We certainly need to forgive and we certainly need to be
      innocent as doves, but we are not asked to be fools. There is no
      command that bids us hold our second hand firmly on a hot stove while
      apologizing with the one first burned. Jesus knew very well what
      lying would do to our hearts, how it would impair them. That's why we
      are asked to never do that to one another.

      Trust and community, love and truth, life and the way, these are
      entwined in the heart of God, that heart to which we all hope to go.
      We need all of those things for our journey.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.