Holy Rule for May 17

    Message 1 of 209 , May 16, 2009

      Deo gratias: Joe is doing well in treatment, continued prayers for his progress.

      Bev, Caz and Brie who lost their beloved pet, Loch.

      Cindy suffering great depression and physical health problems because of her inability to find work.

      Fred suffering depression and isolation over an impending divorce.

      Brother Paschal, on his feastday and Bill, whose Oblate patron is St. Paschal Baylon, too.

      Whenever any important business has to be done
      in the monastery,
      let the Abbot call together the whole community
      and state the matter to be acted upon.
      Then, having heard the brethren's advice,
      let him turn the matter over in his own mind
      and do what he shall judge to be most expedient.
      The reason we have said that all should be called for counsel
      is that the Lord often reveals to the younger what is best.

      Let the brethren give their advice
      with all the deference required by humility,
      and not presume stubbornly to defend their opinions;
      but let the decision rather depend on the Abbot's judgment,
      and all submit to whatever he shall decide for their welfare.

      However, just as it is proper
      for the disciples to obey their master,
      so also it is his function
      to dispose all things with prudence and justice.

      REFLECTION

      This whole reflection and chapter has many, many applications to
      family life. (Except that parents are not elected!) Otherwise, it all is very
      appropriate for a family!

      We elect our abbots, which may make obedience a bit easier for us
      than living under an appointed superior, but we are not a pure
      democracy. This is so hard for Americans in particular to learn, let
      alone value!! In terms of civil government comparisons, we may not be
      an absolute autocracy, but we are far from a constitutionally diluted
      monarchy! The abbot has a lot of power In fact, in most cases, he
      has, as this chapter indicates, the last word.

      St. Benedict was far too wise to leave all power to an elective
      community. That would frustrate any abbot's efforts to upgrade the
      life of his flock. Monastics tend to resist change, let alone reform.
      They'd simply vote him down and be done with it. Communities, like
      St. Peter, must sometimes be girded by another and led where they
      would not go! Pure democracy would make that impossible.

      There is a great reminder in this chapter that either the community
      or the abbot can be wrong. That is so important for both to remember.
      Indeed, if either forgets that fact, the danger to humility is
      extreme and we are nothing if not humble. There is also the lesson
      here of mutual respect. Even though the abbot actually has the
      authority to ignore the community's suggestions, he is bidden to ask
      for input. He is asked to receive it with prudence and justice, neither
      terrified by every passing whim of the group nor terrifying them with every
      passing whim of his own!

      So, if you will, the concept of mutual obedience and fraternal love
      and respect is writ large over the whole of this chapter. Letting
      anyone have that much power is scary if the group as a whole is not
      constrained to virtue, but we are. Sure, the ideal can be failed, we
      are human, but the ideal is there and it is under the conditions of
      that ideal that so much is entrusted with faith to the abbot.

      Though St. Benedict states we should never obey commands against God's law,
      every other instance demands our obedience and respect. We may think the
      Abbot is wrong and, humanly speaking, he might be, but we can never lose by
      obedience. Indeed, quite the reverse: we harm ourselves terribly by obstinately
      clinging to our own will and resisting.

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.