Holy Rule for May 15

    Message 1 of 209 , May 14, 2009

      Betty, we prayed for her in
      January when they found a cancerous mass in her lung. She had half of her
      left lung removed and has recovered from that surgery, but they've found a
      spot on her right lung too which they are monitoring.

      the staff in Jobcentreplus in the UK who are considerably under stress with workloads , new systems, acquiring new knowledge and dealing with customers in need.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      The Abbess should always remember what she is
      and what she is called,
      and should know that to whom more is committed,
      from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
      Let her understand also
      what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
      ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
      One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
      according to each one's character and understanding.
      Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
      in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
      in the flock committed to her care,
      but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

      REFLECTION

      We have seen a lot of things that lessen the culpability of parents,
      abbots, and those in charge. St. Benedict, however, is the relentless fan
      of balance, so here come a couple of zingers that cannot be
      overlooked. In its purest form, Christian authority is a precious
      stone, indeed, but the gold in which that stone is set is
      responsibility. Because the abbess has the ultimate authority to make
      decisions alone, she ultimately has the responsibility, too. Try to
      shirk that and everyone suffers.

      Delegation does not end that responsibility. Give one man or woman
      that much power and the buck really does stop there. Hard saying, but
      St. Benedict cites Jesus Himself as remarking that more is required
      of those to whom so much has been committed. There may be elements
      that qualify and reduce that expectation of more, but there is no way
      to remove it altogether.

      Tucked in the folds of this portion is another warning. The abbot or
      parent must recall that they have undertaken a difficult and arduous
      task. One can wish to be an abbot or parent for utterly wrong
      reasons. Grace can overcome these, God often lets us do the right
      thing for the wrong reason, but if the parent or abbot does not later
      cooperate with the grace, trouble ensues.

      Jesus washed feet, telling us He was giving us an example and
      mandate. (Why do you think the ceremony of foot washing got named
      "Mandatum"? That's where we got the English term "Maundy Thursday".)

      I think it's a safe bet that these days, when feet are most generally
      cleaned in tubs or showers, Jesus would be cleaning toilets. It just
      strikes me as what would be most like Him. Mothers and fathers can tell
      you that their authority requires them to clean a good deal more than just
      toilets! Parents and nurses who are faced with some of the most disgusting
      stuff to clean up can be absolutely certain that their hands are the hands of
      Christ in that moment.

      Wouldn't it be a better world if such loving humility was required of
      all authority? If Jesus could do it as God, what lesser official
      dares quibble with His standards?

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.