Holy Rule for May 14

    Message 1 of 209 , May 13, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical welfare of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Donat, Terry's dad who had to have emergency surgery last night for a perforated Diveriticulum. He is almost 84 and is not in good health. The doctor's have said the next 24-48 hours are critical to his survival. Terry lost her mom last Summer and is not ready to lose her dad at this point in time.

      Doddie, 72, who is having her first knee replacement surgery this Friday, May 15. She's really scared, but the pain in her knee is so bad that after years of steroid shots, they told her it was this or live with the pain.

      Lord, help us all as You know and will.
      Thanks so much. JL

      In her teaching
      the Abbess should always follow the Apostle's formula:
      "Reprove, entreat, rebuke" (2 Tim. 4:2);
      threatening at one time and coaxing at another
      as the occasion may require,
      showing now the stern countenance of a mistress,
      now the loving affection of a mother.
      That is to say,
      it is the undisciplined and restless
      whom she must reprove rather sharply;
      it is the obedient, meek and patient
      whom she must entreat to advance in virtue;
      while as for the negligent and disdainful,
      these we charge her to rebuke and correct.

      And let her not shut her eyes to the faults of offenders;
      but, since she has the authority,
      let her cut out those faults by the roots
      as soon as they begin to appear,
      remembering the fate of Heli, the priest of Silo (1 Kings 2-4).
      The well-disposed and those of good understanding
      let her correct with verbal admonition the first and second time.
      But bold, hard, proud and disobedient characters
      she should curb at the very beginning of their ill-doing
      by stripes and other bodily punishments,
      knowing that it is written,
      "the fool is not corrected with words" (Prov. 18:2; 29:19),
      and again,
      "Beat your son with the rod,
      and you will deliver his soul from death"(Prov. 23:13-14).

      As our world grows more populated and less personalist, "One size
      fits all" becomes a favorite chant of marketing. We all know that's
      usually not true, and it is surely not true of parenting or
      governing, as St. Benedict points out. This chapter firmly
      contradicts the lie of such marketing. We are all individuals, all
      treasures with different needs. Generic brand parenting will not do.

      I was a miserable failure at discipline when teaching high school
      sophomore English. I am sure it is an experience neither they nor I
      would like to repeat. I tried to treat them like college students or
      adults, a point they had not reached. In my naiveté, I expected them
      to respond in kind. When they didn't, matters escalated between us, but not
      into anything that did much good.

      I was terribly at fault: I didn't see who they were, I gave them what *I*
      would have liked to have had, but I was already in my mid-thirties with
      a lot of life experience. I wasn't serving their needs, because I didn't
      know who they were, nor, in that first year, did I even know how to find
      out! So, like many before me, I substituted what I would want or need and
      proclaimed that one size would fit all. Wrong! NOT!

      Any abbess or parent who wants to try my way, not St. Benedict's,
      will quickly find that it is as hard on them as it is on their charges.
      My year of high school teaching was horrible and I hated it. My
      students hated it, too. It was terrible for both of us at many, many
      points. The light that entered in from time to time, the genuine
      enjoyment of each other was only a flash that appeared rarely, faded
      soon. I pray for those kids (and for those who taught me!) every day
      of my life.

      St. Benedict is not only moderate and balanced, he sees the person
      clearly. He is a personalist of the first rank. Practice his
      principles of government without the checks and balances of this
      portion and you will be very displeased with the results. It
      sometimes takes St. Benedict a while to make his point. Cut him short
      before he has, and you will often wind up very sorry. Always let him
      finish: the whole is a thing of beauty, but the parts may fall far
      short of that.

      Mercifully, God alone can bring good out of anything, so He can even
      use our wrong-headedness to bring others to Him. He can do that with
      obedience, too, but if we give Him a bit less chaos by following
      Benedict's methods rather than our own, it will be better for all

      To a certain point, some people thrive on a lot of leeway, others do
      not. Some people need rigid order, others will wither under that. A
      superior who is into super control will soon be left with none but
      those who need that and a few conflicted types who can at least
      endure it.

      A superior who is too easy-going can also do harm. Sad is the
      community where the only thing that will ever get all the horses back into
      the barn is death, and a few of such exist.

      This is not so different from the message throughout the Holy Rule:
      concern for the other, not the self, eyes on God for the good of all! And, as
      the old-timers would say: "Keep your eyes on your own choir stall." Trust me,
      you will ALWAYS find plenty to keep you busy there if you are honest
      with yourself!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.
        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.