Holy Rule for Apr. 28

    Message 1 of 211 , Apr 27, 2009
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

      Pat and two of her friends all of whom have multiple health problems

      June who has developed an ulcerated leg.

      N., heart trouble and respiratory trouble.

      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      Ever work in a place where there was such chaos that you always had
      to be protecting yourself from just about everybody, where you never
      knew from which quarter doom might swoop down without warning. Trust
      me, it ain't much fun. Been there, done that! St. Benedict wisely saw
      that healthy people cannot live that way- it makes them sick- and
      sick people cannot either, it makes them sicker in a big hurry!

      Our communities, our families, and our own behavior at work or school
      should never buy into such lunacy. One advantage of a central
      authority is that it takes the heat, or ought to take it! To leave
      those we have under our care at the mercy of each other, be they
      siblings or monastics or employees, is a terrible abdication of
      responsibility.

      The other telling thing here is the proscription against losing one's
      temper. Hey, I know it happens, and I often even know how. It surely
      has happened to me, alas. But our communities are to be founded on peace.

      When disagreement comes or wrong is done, our first resort must
      NEVER be the overkill of the heaviest possible artillery. Much less than
      that is effective in most cases and giving more than is necessary just
      destroys our inner peace. That, my friends, is something we should
      never allow things around us to destroy.

      Two other important things are to be borne in mind. The other person may
      honestly have no clue that they have offended or done anything wrong. It
      may be in our own wrong-headed perceptions. Also, the silent treatment or
      the cold shoulder freeze out are demeaning and not terribly mature ways to
      deal with conflict, especially if the person receiving such nonsense is
      expected to either know or guess what she has done wrong. Such petulant
      behaviors
      are beneath humanity itself, much less Christianity and terribly beneath
      monastic life.

      Far from the "mutually assured destruction" tactic of the nuclear days,
      we should always and everywhere espouse gentleness and polite restraint.
      Our disagreements and corrections should be marked with mercy, even to
      those who fail mercy themselves. (There is no shortage of such people and
      no need to duplicate services there!) So much of charity is genuine courtesy
      and respect, qualities which are sadly easy to fail. We must be mindful, ever
      mindful!

      Message 211 of 211 , Mar 13, 2017

        +PAX

        Many ardent prayers for Mario, substance abuse problem and getting help and treatment, may he stay clean and sober. Prayers, too, for his parents, D. and M. and all his family.

        Prayers for Kristen, young wife & mother with serious cancer. Parishioners are praying to Ven. Rose Hawthorne for a miracle.

        Prayers for Diana and her daughter, Diana left the Church long ago, prayers that they both may return.

        Many ardent prayers for Steve, in hospice, that he may get all the Sacraments, and for his wife and family and all who will mourn him. Divine Mercy chaplets, please, from those so inclined.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Kathy, who died in her sleep, and strength for her husband, Mark and for their family. Kathy was a very devout prayer warrior.

        Continued ardent prayers for Josh, drug problems and hopefully already in treatment.

        Prayers for Patty, 56, who has been home battling bacterial pneumonia for over a week.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of 35 girls killed in a fire at a state-run home for youth in Guatemala, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the other girls at that facility, where allegations of abuse have prompted riots from those housed there.

        Prayers for a man estranged from his children for many years, that they resume contact with him.

        Prayers for E., that she go to Confession, also for Liz, that she go to Confession. It has been many years for both.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.