June 24

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2003

      Prayers, please, for Trappist Fr. Robert of Spencer, 6 hours or so of
      heart surgery today. Also for Maria, 9 hours of delicate spinal
      surgery on Friday. She is an Oblate friend of Ann McPhillips.
      Prayers, too, for Phil, uncle of Doug Kimball. Phil has advanved
      Alzheimer's and an abdominal mass, and has now broken his hip.
      Prayers for him and all his family. The Alzheimer's has left him in a
      state of pain without understanding: just pain. Prayers for peace and
      healing and rest for all. God's will is best! Thanks. NRN JL

      Vespers are to be sung with four Psalms every day.
      These shall begin with Psalm 109 and go on to Psalm 147,
      omitting those which are set apart for other Hours;
      that is to say that
      with the exception of Psalms 117 to 127 and Psalms 133 and 142,
      all the rest of these are to be said at Vespers.
      And since there are three Psalms too few,
      let the longer ones of the above number be divided,
      namely Psalms 138, 143 and 144.
      But let Psalm 116 because of its brevity be joined to Psalm 115.

      The order of the Vesper Psalms being thus settled,
      let the rest of the Hour --
      lesson, responsory, hymn, verse and canticle --
      be carried out as we prescribed above.

      At Compline the same Psalms are to be repeated every day,
      namely Psalms 4, 90 and 133.

      REFLECTION

      Maybe it's just me, but I find Vespers and Compline very different
      and refreshing. They are evening hours, not followed by work, except
      for the light clean up after supper, which is not a main meal here
      anyway. Vespers makes me think of finally getting home and shutting
      the door after a long day and a tough commute. It is a flavor no
      other hour has for me. It ends the workday, leaving the evening for
      family. Not shabby! A rite of passage from the job to the home hearth!

      A brief glance at the Psalms for Vespers will show that they are yet
      another example of consecutive, running psalmody. One right after
      another, except for a few which get bumped elsewhere or are
      thoughtfully divided because of their length. Apparently by numerical
      happenstance, Psalm 140 winds us in the Vespers grouping, and it is
      most appropriate: "Let my prayer ascend to You like incense and the
      lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice." Historically,
      Psalm 140 has appeared in the Vespers or services of light
      (Lucenaria) of many, many rites.

      For active monasteries, or for busy Oblates in the world, evening and
      early morning are often the only times we get of relative cloister
      and focus. The morning hours are largely available to anyone willing
      or able to get up while the rest of the world (including offspring!)
      sleeps, the evening hours perhaps less so. Those evenings are family
      times par excellence and our first vocations must always be respected.

      If, as a working parent or spouse, getting home means just getting
      started with dinner, don't despair! There is (or can be, if you
      provide for it,) a lot of undistracted solitude in cooking, even if
      it is rather harried cooking. (Guests often ask what they can do to
      help me in the kitchen. My usual response, I hope said kindly enough,
      is "Yes, don't talk to me while I am cooking. I get too focused!" If
      you can GENTLY establish a similar program of don't-talk-to-me-while-
      I-am-cooking, go for it. The solitude of a kitchen at work feeding
      loved ones is a rich one, indeed.

      If you are into tapes, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
      play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
      can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
      listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
      become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of your
      evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find your
      evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
      different!

      LOve and prayers,
      Jerome, OSB
      jeromeleo@... St. Mary's Monastery