Holy Rule for Mar. 30

    Message 1 of 209 , Mar 29, 2009

      Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Maura and Jim, and for all their loved ones, all who mourn them.

      Prayers for the spiritual mental and physical health of Tom, upper erosive esophagitis and meds are not working, and for all his loved ones and those who take care of him.

      Lord,
      help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.

      Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor

      On Sundays, let all occupy themselves in reading,
      except those who have been appointed to various duties.
      But if anyone should be so negligent and shiftless
      that she will not or cannot study or read,
      let her be given some work to do
      so that she will not be idle.

      Weak or sickly sisters should be assigned a task or craft
      of such a nature as to keep them from idleness
      and at the same time not to overburden them or drive them away
      with excessive toil.
      Their weakness must be taken into consideration by the Abbess.

      REFLECTION

      The greatest mentor in my monastic life was Brother Patrick Creamer,
      OSB, of St. Leo Abbey in Florida. I learned more from Brother Patrick
      than I have from any other monk. He had more influence on my life
      than any man other than my father. He died September 14, 2004, two weeks
      short of his 90th birthday. Say a prayer for him. My debt to him is great and
      much
      of what I pass on to you I received from Patrick first. I have long
      hoped that even in the slightest and most occasional of ways, I could
      be a Patrick now and then to someone else.

      Years ago, Brother Patrick told me: "Never judge yourself by others-
      there will always be people who will do more than you and people who
      do less." There's a very obvious corollary to that maxim: never judge
      others by yourself, either! I have struggled for years to learn both.
      I still have not succeeded, but I keep trying. Every time I remember
      those words I am shamed at how many more times I forget them. I hope
      and pray all of you are much better students of life than I am!

      The Abbot is not the only one who has to see, really see weakness and
      allow for it. All of us do. That's what it means to bear one
      another's burdens as well as we can. If and when so-and-so finally
      gets their act together, it is highly unlikely that they will be an
      exact clone of someone so utterly perfect as ourselves! We can be so
      self-centered that we unwittingly actually expect that to happen. If
      we stop to look at how ludicrous such a thing is, we'll have to
      laugh, because if we didn't, we'd cry.

      God made individuals, tons of them. Their optimal state is going to
      be just as individual, just as different , one from another. Hey,
      that's the beauty of the mosaic, which would, after all, have all the
      charm of a tiled floor if all the pieces were the same color and
      boring shape...

      It is not just the weakness of others we have to see. We have to see
      our own, as well. How many people there are who are thinking: "When
      Jerome gets his ducks in a row, he'll be just like me." Sorry, y'all.
      Ain't gonna happen, no more than you all are going to wind up (God
      forbid!) looking frighteningly like me. Strengths and weakness are
      the only tools we have to work with. If we don't even see them, they
      won't be much good.

      I confess that I do not know 20% of what my computer can do. I'll
      probably never know most of its ability. That's often the case with
      computers, but how tragic it is if we allow that to happen with
      ourselves. That's why the monastic struggle points us to even deeper
      self-examination, self-knowledge and humility.

      Hey, a hard drive is neither here nor there in many senses, but a human
      soul needs a LOT of disk scanning and defragmentation. There'd better
      be a good anti-virus program, too, as well as lots of extra memory!
      Fortunately, these things cost nowhere near what software does. They were all
      bought for us at a tremendous price. Just ask the Guy Who did that
      and He'll give you all the free downloads you could ever need!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.