Holy Rule for Mar. 26

    Message 1 of 211 , Mar 25, 2009
      +PAX

      Prayers were requested earlier for a 55 year old man dying of lung failure, & his 85 year old widowed mother. He died on Friday, and his wife & mother are in great distress.

      Today is the second anniversary of the death of MonasticLife member Lou Ann Smith. Please remember her and her husband in your prayers.

      Please pray for Jean, macular degeneration.

      Karen asks for prayers again for her sister, Kay, who is very ill. She had to go back to surgery again as the infection in her back is getting worse. If this surgery doesn't work, they'll have to go back in and remove all the hardware they had inserted. She is in much pain and badly in need of prayer as her body seems unable to fight the infection.

      Lord, help us all as You know and
      Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 26, July 26, November 25
      Chapter 46: On Those Who Fail in Any Other Matters

      When anyone is engaged in any sort of work,
      whether in the kitchen, in the cellar, in a shop,
      in the bakery, in the garden, while working at some craft,
      or in any other place,
      and she commits some fault,
      or breaks something, or loses something,
      or transgresses in any other way whatsoever,
      if she does not come immediately
      before the Abbess and the community
      of her own accord
      to make satisfaction and confess her fault,
      then when it becomes known through another,
      let her be subjected to a more severe correction.

      But if the sin-sickness of the soul is a hidden one,
      let her reveal it only to the Abbess or to a spiritual mother,
      who knows how to cure her own and others' wounds
      without exposing them and making them public.

      REFLECTION

      I can hear parents relating to this one! "When you break something,
      why don't you tell me? Don't just hide the pieces and say nothing."
      Well, truthfully, sometimes people may have been afraid to ask us
      because of ways we have reacted before, but that's not always so. As
      former guest master, I can assure you that many adults have very adolescent
      habits when it comes to breaking something, even though they
      never had any dealings with me on the matter before. Nothing is said,
      the damage is hidden and I'd find out a lot later.

      That's too bad, because I really like to give a monastic witness to
      the value of people before things and a broken plate or glass or
      toilet is a great way to do that. When people do come to me, always
      apologetic, and often quite sheepish as well, I say something
      like: "Oh, that's OK! We can always get another pitcher, but we can
      never get another you! People before things!"

      People before things. That is so crucial to remember, because all of
      us have lived in a very materialist world. For people of our times,
      some of the Holy Rule's insistence that we be careful of the earthly
      goods of monastery or home must be carefully balanced. Otherwise, we
      run into the trap of becoming monastic materialists, quite a
      contradiction in terms, to say the least.

      Yes, we must be careful of things, but we must always keep uppermost
      in our minds that the greatest treasures or family or monastery or workplace
      are the members themselves. If frugality becomes stinginess, if conservation
      breaks charity, we are way, way off the mark.

      There's another little gem here, right at the end. Not everyone in
      the group needs to know all your details all the time, but letting no
      one at all know is equally foolish. A balance must be obtained here,
      as in all things.

      Knowing whom to tell what to is a delicate art of paying very close
      attention to reality of the other person. Such attentiveness to another is
      an exquisite exercise of personalism, a trait we should all desire! Some
      people may not be trustworthy, others may not profit from knowing for
      other reasons, like distress or worry or even scandal. Weigh those
      considerations very, very carefully.

      Being HIV+ has given me a bit of experience in this last regard.
      There are those, I know, who think it imprudent to be as candid as I
      am about my antibody status. However, I choose the candor for very
      valid reasons and I do not apply them in every situation, with every
      person I meet. Can't do that. Wouldn't be good for them or for me.
      Might be sometime, isn't just yet.

      This is very different thing from being secretive or closety. I need- we
      all need- to weigh our audience. That's mindfulness of others. Some
      weigh things far too cautiously. My experience has shown me that, while
      being bold can be scary, it also call forth things from people that neither I
      nor sometimes they knew they had going for them! Sometimes our candor can
      bring out the best in all of us, or at least in most of us, and those
      are the times to forge ahead!

      Message 211 of 211 , Mar 13

        +PAX

        Many ardent prayers for Mario, substance abuse problem and getting help and treatment, may he stay clean and sober. Prayers, too, for his parents, D. and M. and all his family.

        Prayers for Kristen, young wife & mother with serious cancer. Parishioners are praying to Ven. Rose Hawthorne for a miracle.

        Prayers for Diana and her daughter, Diana left the Church long ago, prayers that they both may return.

        Many ardent prayers for Steve, in hospice, that he may get all the Sacraments, and for his wife and family and all who will mourn him. Divine Mercy chaplets, please, from those so inclined.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of Kathy, who died in her sleep, and strength for her husband, Mark and for their family. Kathy was a very devout prayer warrior.

        Continued ardent prayers for Josh, drug problems and hopefully already in treatment.

        Prayers for Patty, 56, who has been home battling bacterial pneumonia for over a week.

        Prayers for the eternal rest of 35 girls killed in a fire at a state-run home for youth in Guatemala, and for their families and all who mourn them. Prayers, too, for the other girls at that facility, where allegations of abuse have prompted riots from those housed there.

        Prayers for a man estranged from his children for many years, that they resume contact with him.

        Prayers for E., that she go to Confession, also for Liz, that she go to Confession. It has been many years for both.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.