Holy Rule for Mar. 24

    Message 1 of 209 , Mar 23, 2009

      Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of two young women trampled to death in Angola while trying to get into the stadium, and for the 89 others injured in that tragic stampede.

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the folloiwng, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them.

      Natalie, peace of mind, employment and other concerns.

      Bill, bad news for him from the vet about his dog.

      Sandy, finding her way into the Catholic Church.

      Chapter 44: How the Excommunicated Are to Make Satisfaction

      One who for serious faults is excommunicated
      from oratory and table
      shall make satisfaction as follows.
      At the hour when the celebration of the Work of God is concluded
      in the oratory,
      let her lie prostrate before the door of the oratory,
      saying nothing, but only lying prone with her face to the ground
      at the feet of all as they come out of the oratory.
      And let her continue to do this
      until the Abbess judges that satisfaction has been made.
      Then, when she has come at the Abbess's bidding,
      let her cast herself first at the Abbess's feet
      and then at the feet of all,
      that they may pray for her.

      And next, if the Abbess so orders,
      let her be received into the choir,
      to the place which the Abbess appoints,
      but with the provision that she shall not presume
      to intone Psalm or lesson or anything else in the oratory
      without a further order from the Abbess.

      Moreover, at every Hour,
      when the Work of God is ended,
      let her cast herself on the ground in the place where she stands.
      And let her continue to satisfy in this way
      until the Abbess again orders her finally to cease
      from this satisfaction.

      But those who for slight faults are excommunicated
      only from table
      shall make satisfaction in the oratory,
      and continue in it till an order from the Abbess,
      until she blesses them and says, "It is enough."

      No matter how we came by it, one nasty little of baggage that a lot
      of us carry is the inability to say: "It is enough." For some of us,
      forgiving ourselves or believing we have been forgiven or even
      sensing that we have made all the reparation possible or necessary is
      all but completely impossible. (Any other obsessive/compulsive disorders
      out there reading this? Welcome to the club, I pray for us all daily!)

      There is great blessing for such people to have an Abbot. Even there,
      tremendous trust and obedience are required, because the Evil One
      would very much prefer that our upset and lack of faith continue! An
      Abbot can put and end to many matters, if only we allow that to
      happen. Abbots can offer resolution to many situations and the Holy
      Rule confirms them in this power again and again. The buck really
      stops there!

      If we let it stop there.... That can be so hard. However, even though
      most of us reading this do NOT live with Abbots, we all live with
      God, with Christ. He and He alone is in charge of our forgiveness, of
      the extent of our reparation or penance. He knows all too well the
      extremes of self-damage we can go to without His intervention and He
      does intervene, if only we have the faith to allow Him, to listen, trust and
      believe. We all ought to seek regular confessors who can also help
      us in this regard. Either confessor or Abbot can set many, many cares
      to rest!

      I am finding lately, much to the relief of my obsessive/compulsive
      heart and soul, that I really can achieve vastly greater amounts of
      inner serenity and peace by putting an affair in my superior's hands
      and accepting his judgement. There is the key to the value of this:
      inner peace and serenity. We badly need those aids to spiritual growth.
      Anything which increases their strength is a chance we ought never to

      The Divine Mercy of God is His greatest attribute, linked inseparably
      to His love. We could never for an instant imagine the full extent of
      that Mercy's grandeur. We do Christ a terrible disservice and
      discourtesy when we refuse to believe that His riches are for us,
      that only others can be forgiven, but we must struggle on and "save
      ourselves" with Pelagian bootstraps firmly in hand! What a sneaky
      inverse pride there is in such feelings: I am so special (even so
      specially wicked!) that I cannot be like the rest of them!

      Mercy, mercy and always mercy! If you do not have a superior to live
      with, please learn to accept that mercy from God. If you do have a
      superior, learn to accept God's mercy through that channel. If you
      *ARE* a superior or parent or teacher, strive to be that channel.
      Mercy, mercy, always mercy!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.
        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.