Brothrt Jerome's Reflection: March 21

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2009

      FROM A LIST MEMBER:
      We are falling further down, we were told that we will have to move from the back porch that we have been living on. We just found a used car that is sound and that we could afford ..and now we are having to move and my husband is only working three days a week now...my husband does not want me to work...I do not know what it is that God is wanting us to do... I feel lost and sad....I am not able to concentrate on prayers all I seem to be able to do is talk to God not really formal prayer.... Please pray for us so we can find somewhere to go.

      Karen asks for prayers for her sister, Kay, who has very severe health problems. She has had surgery on her back, which is not healing, and she can no longer eat, and has had a feeding tube inserted. She lives over half a continent away, but Karen has power of attorney for her, and is under great stress as how to help her. Please pray for Kay's welfare and for God's merciful Will in this situation.

      Please pray for Elaine and for the rectification of an extremely toxic work environment.

      Please pray for Craig trying to make ends meet by selling Real Estate. Nuff said!

      Please pray for Charlene and her husband Murray who need Landon tested so they can apply for funding for occupational therapy, speech therapy etc. and they told them that Landon is (their words were) - moderate to severe retardation. Even though Landon goes to school etc., she is devastated. She already suffers from anxiety attacks and OCD.

      +Please pray that Divine Mercy will shine upon all those who have taken their own lives.+

      Chapter 42: That No One Speak After Compline

      Monastics ought to be zealous for silence at all times,
      but especially during the hours of the night.
      For every season, therefore,
      whether there be fasting or two meals,
      let the program be as follows:

      If it be a season when there are two meals,
      then as soon as they have risen from supper
      they shall all sit together,
      and one of them shall read the Conferences
      or the Lives of the Fathers
      or something else that may edify the hearers;
      not the Heptateuch or the Books of Kings, however,
      because it will not be expedient for weak minds
      to hear those parts of Scripture at that hour;
      but they shall be read at other times.

      If it be a day of fast,
      then having allowed a short interval after Vespers
      they shall proceed at once to the reading of the Conferences,
      as prescribed above;
      four or five pages being read, or as much as time permits,
      so that during the delay provided by this reading
      all may come together,
      including those who may have been occupied
      in some work assigned them.

      When all, therefore, are gathered together,
      let them say Compline;
      and when they come out from Compline,
      no one shall be allowed to say anything from that time on.
      And if anyone should be found evading this rule of silence,
      let her undergo severe punishment.
      An exception shall be made
      if the need of speaking to guests should arise
      or if the Abbess should give someone an order.
      But even this should be done with the utmost gravity
      and the most becoming restraint.

      REFLECTION

      I certainly can- and have!- sung the praises of the Grand Silence. It
      is lovely and warm and wonderful and familiar and comforting. All of
      that! But I also know that for many Oblates to read those words will
      only underscore painfully the fact that many can NOT have such a
      silence to restore them. So, what about them? What does this chapter
      have for those whose lives and vocations make Grand Silence an
      impossible dream?

      Well, first, and most briefly, we all have to seek out and cherish
      the moments of silence and solitude that may find us from time to
      time. Our society teaches us to be surrounded by noise. There may be
      times we are all but unaware of that we can diminish that noise, or
      when its removal may surprise us. Learn to make the most of such
      times! Try as best you can to increase them, so long as you are not
      stepping on the toes of others, like your family!

      But, perhaps even more importantly, those who are denied this silence
      need to be keenly aware that the sacrifice of a thing often gives
      greater spiritual growth than its possession would. That is,
      admittedly, terribly cold comfort, but it is so very true. The
      longing heart, the broken heart, the unfulfilled heart, these are all
      very ripe fields for the love and mercy of God. Not that such mercy
      and love will necessarily be felt! Often, quite the reverse! God loves
      broken hearts with the most tender of compassions. Their breached walls
      make His entry easier.

      That is why trust and faith are so important at times of deprivation
      or aridity.. It is through trust that we reap the benefits, through
      knowing, even though it may not make us feel any better, that Christ
      is mercy, is not mean, is not absent and is NEVER uncaring. Never.
      As St. John Chrysostom said: "God is never the enemy of His creatures."

      Jesus told St. Faustina that He was even more close to her in times
      of desolation, when she could not feel Him, than He was in the
      closest of ecstasies. He also told her, when she was in the dull ache
      of suffering days that seemed endless, that in heaven she would long
      for such days. Why? Because then she would know their worth!

      Trust me, beloveds, I know how this can sound. There have been (and
      still are!) times in my life when hearing words like those I write
      this morning could only make me want to retch. But they are true.
      Maddening, I know, but true......!