Brother Jerome's Reflection: March 18

  • Michael LoPiccolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2009
      +PAX

      Please pray for Sharon, her sister Diane and her father Leo? Leo is elderly and ailing, wants to leave the assisted living facility where he currently lives, but really can't be on his own. Sharon and Diane have to convince him of this, and it will not be easy.

      Please pray for Naomi who is 30 and has two young children. Naomi is deeply into drugs. She is due in court March 24. Please pray that she gets the help she so desperately needs. Prayers also for her two children.

      Chapter 39: On the Measure of Food

      We think it sufficient for the daily dinner,
      whether at the sixth or the ninth hour,
      that every table have two cooked dishes
      on account of individual infirmities,
      so that he who for some reason cannot eat of the one
      may make his meal of the other
      Therefore let two cooked dishes suffice for all the brethren;
      and if any fruit or fresh vegetables are available,
      let a third dish be added.

      Let a good pound weight of bread suffice for the day,
      whether there be only one meal or both dinner and supper.
      If they are to have supper,
      the cellarer shall reserve a third of that pound,
      to be given them at supper.

      But if it happens that the work was heavier,
      it shall lie within the Abbot's discretion and power,
      should it be expedient,
      to add something to the fare.
      Above all things, however,
      over-indulgence must be avoided
      and a monk must never be overtaken by indigestion;
      for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character
      as over-indulgence
      according to Our Lord's words,
      "See to it that your hearts be not burdened
      with over-indulgence" (Luke 21:34).

      Young boys
      shall not receive the same amount of food as their elders,
      but less;
      and frugality shall be observed in all circumstances.

      Except the sick who are very weak,
      let all abstain entirely
      from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.

      REFLECTION

      The Benedictine golden mean is that of the Lord Himself: we avoid
      over-indulgence because it burdens our hearts. This is true of any
      over-indulgence: food, drink, property. Our hearts are truly burdened
      by our excess, weighed down, kept from flight. Our hearts lag and
      fall with the awful results of having ourselves in charge of them!

      For those in the developed countries, this chapter on food can be a
      very good starting point of surrender. The Western nations in general
      and the U.S. in particular are spoiled rotten with food. Our notoriously poor
      diet choices are to blame for many health risks and I confess that I am
      just as guilty as anyone, even if I am trying to do a little better. Might
      not food be one of the healthiest and most logical places for ascetic striving to
      begin?

      The questions of diet raised here were looked at in purely monastic
      terms, as self-denial and penitential living. No one knew about
      cholesterol or fiber or many of the illnesses associated today with
      eating habits.. Wasn't in their vocabulary. No quadruped meat was just
      a red herring between Cistercians and Benedictines, each arguing an
      opposite point solely on grounds of monastic observance. In every
      monastic writing I have ever encountered, abstinence from meat is
      always viewed as a voluntary deprivation, a means, like fasting, to
      subdue the body and its more earthy side.

      Fast forward to 2008. Red meat tastes great. I love it. NOTHING like
      a medium rare prime rib! Sadly, that is true in more than one sense,
      especially if, like me, you eat all the fat! Today we know that the
      eating habits encouraged here are worth a lot more than simple
      asceticism, they are healthy. Given that, something a lot more
      binding than the Holy Rule bids us look more closely: the 5th
      commandment, which insists that we not kill ourselves, either, that
      we guard our health.

      Granted, the times of meals stated here do not fit very well into a
      40 hour week of work and school. Not to worry. Our call here is to
      adapt. The content of monastic meals can be a big boon to health.
      Less meat, more beans, less beef, more chicken, buy decent bread and
      eat more of it. Or make your own! (Remember that bread machine that
      hardly got used after Christmas?) These are things one can gradually
      introduce to a family, too, provided one is a good cook. An extra
      meatless day or two a week is hardly noticed if you serve really good
      fare. Try dishes from the peasant cuisines of the world that stretch
      a very little meat a very long way.

      This Benedictine-inspired diet will not only be better for you and
      your family, it will benefit the planet, too. Grain-fed beef makes a
      horrible dent in the ecology and economy of the world, to say nothing
      of throwing effort and harvests into cattle that could feed starving
      human beings.

      Remember that earlier injunction about treating the goods of the
      monastery as sacred vessels of the altar? Well, the greatest goods
      any monastery or family has are its members and the planet that
      supports them. To own that fact is the beginning of a Benedictine
      ecology. Our diets are excellent places to make choices healthy for
      us and all the planet.

      We need our hearts (figuratively and literally!) in this struggle. A
      starving heart is just as crippled as a surfeited one. We need to
      find the balance- and that is often hard. But, with God's help and
      mercy, we can do all!