Holy Rule for Mar. 16

    Message 1 of 209 , Mar 15, 2009

      Prayers, please, for me, as I leave for California to give a retreat at Valyermo and prayers of thanks and gratitude for Michael LoPiccolo, who will be doing the Holy Rule for me.

      Please pray for healing for Laura for healing and that she find meaningful employment. Tests show her cancer is not in remission and funds are extremely low.

      For the happy death and eternal rest of Sarita Claire, 12, who died Thursday evening from heart-related conditions. And for her parents Ian and Kamala.

      Please pray for Viktoria,21, and Sergej, 23, who will be baptized and confirmed and receive First Holy Communion today. May they walk in the Love of Christ.

      Prayers for George, possible cancer, complicated by diabetes and
      congestive heart failure, as well as depression over the recent death
      of his sister. Prayers also for his loved ones helping him in this
      crisis.

      Chapter 37: On the Old and Children

      Although human nature itself is drawn to special kindness towards
      these times of life, that is towards the old and children, still
      the authority of the Rule should also provide for them.

      Let their weakness be always taken into account, and let them by
      no means be held to the rigor of the Rule with regard to food. On
      the contrary, let a kind consideration be shown to them, and let
      them eat before the regular hours.

      REFLECTION

      The tenderness of St. Benedict shines through here. These are
      strong words for weakness: "ALWAYS taken into account," and "BY NO
      MEANS held to the rigor of the Rule for food." Though he prefaces
      his chapter recalling that any healthy human nature has a certain
      level
      of consideration for these age groups, our holy Father Benedict
      quickly returns to a very consistent theme of the Holy Rule: we are
      called to more than mere nature. We are called to enhance our
      nature to the heights of sanctity. Our considerate mindfulness for
      every
      person and their individual needs must be greater than that of the
      world.

      St. Benedict's aim is that each of us ALWAYS see the person first.
      That kind of loving mindfulness will make the chapters on the sick
      and the young and old complete no-brainers. This is the way we
      should be seeing everyone: real people for whom they really are,
      nothing more or less. Circumstances do arise that require greater
      attention, but the foundation of that is a firm theology of
      personalism.

      It should come as no great shock that the most frequent obstacle to
      viewing others correctly is ourselves. Our own image, our self, our
      projections get in the way of the lens of truth. We have to spend
      our monastic struggle learning to put those things aside, so that
      the light of others may shine through unobstructed. With our own
      needs at least on a back burner, or better yet, shelved far off in
      the pantry, we can begin to truly see others and their needs. Wipe
      the mud of self from our eyes and we can see the treasures that
      surround
      us. Mother Teresa of Calcutta surely did that. She saw beauty that
      all of us less holy than she missed big-time and she saw it in
      everyone.

      A key to all this is a favorite quote from Antoine de St.
      Exupery's "Little Prince":

      "The essential is invisible to the eyes. One can only see rightly
      with the heart."

      That's what our Rule demands: the cultivation of the very loving
      eyes of our hearts! And we open those eyes by expanding our hearts
      in love!

      Message 209 of 209 , Mar 14
        I have no idea why this didn't go through yesterday. Catching up. BJL

        +PAX
        Prayers for the grace-filled success of our Oblate Day and our Sisters' Monastic Experience weekend at Petersham and for all participating.

        Urgent prayers needed for Brian's brother-in-law, Paul. He is a diabetic, and now has been diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. It is stage 3, and a biopsy this coming Tuesday will check to see if he is stage 4. He will be starting chemo & radiation. His wife is devastated. Brian has known Paul since they were very young, loves him like a brother and is crushed. Please pray for Paul, his wife, Brian and all their family and friends.
        Deo gratias, the twin's fluid build up is gone.

        Prayer for Brian T.,( another Brian,) who is being viciously harrassed.

        Prayers for JS, discernment and assistance in making an important life decision.

        Prayers for Beverly, special intention plus dicernment regarding another of perplexing issues..

        Deo gratias for all prayers and graces of the past.

        let them wait until after Mass.

        to be.