Holy Rule for Mar. 11

    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 10, 2009

      Prayers, please, for Michael LoPiccolo, who has no Internet connection until Thursday. He uses the net to do so much for so many, this is quite hard for him.

      Buck, the out of work man we prayed for got the job we prayed he would get. Many thanks! Deo gratias!!

      Prayers for Mary Linda, whose brain cancer is progressing. Family and friends are now praying for the grace of a peaceful death.

      Lord, help us all as
      You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never
      absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

      March 11, July 11, November 10
      Chapter 33: Whether Monks Ought to Have Anything of Their Own

      This vice especially
      is to be cut out of the monastery by the roots.
      Let no one presume to give or receive anything
      without the Abbot's leave,
      or to have anything as his own --
      anything whatever,
      whether book or tablets or pen or whatever it may be --
      since they are not permitted to have even their bodies or wills
      at their own disposal;
      but for all their necessities
      let them look to the Father of the monastery.
      And let it be unlawful to have anything
      which the Abbot has not given or allowed.
      Let all things be common to all,
      as it is written (Acts 4:32),
      and let no one say or assume that anything is his own.

      But if anyone is caught indulging in this most wicked vice,
      let him be admonished once and a second time.
      If he fails to amend,
      let him undergo punishment.

      REFLECTION

      There are certainly Gospel counsels to poverty: "Go, sell all that
      you have..." was the reading that led St. Anthony the Great into the
      desert. There are also ascetic benefits to any detachment, freeing
      one from reins that tie the spirit to earthbound stagnation. There
      are, however, very pragmatic reasons behind poverty, too.

      If Communism had kept God and truly embraced equality, it might have
      worked! A lifelong student of the Romanovs (but not of economics,) I
      have never been able to figure out why Russia had such a hard time
      financially after the revolution. The wealth of the nobility was
      beyond the West's wildest dreams, even royalty was aghast at Russian
      splendor. Had that been resolutely dissolved and divided equitably, I
      have a hard time figuring out why so many were in such great need.

      But, of course, the Bolsheviks did not keep God, which left their
      altruism for sharing wide open for human corruption to take over,
      which it did. George Orwell's parable, "Animal Farm" was right on the
      money: the pigs moved into the farmhouse and nothing changed except
      who was in charge, in fact, things actually got worse in the barnyard.

      Aside from human jealousy, or from righteous indignation at unjust
      levels of economic dispersion, property possesses another
      characteristic which makes it very wise for monastics to seek to
      limit it. The world uses wealth and goods to establish rank, to
      confirm (or, God save us, confer,) power. This view was neatly
      expressed by a tongue in cheek bumper sticker of a few years
      back: "The one who dies with the most toys wins."

      The last thing a monastic needs is rank. The same goes for power,
      unless one is already very, very holy and very mature, wise enough to
      use either rank or power with sanctity. That's a point few of us have
      reached. Without that necessary growth in holiness, either rank or
      power can be absolutely fatal to the monastic search and struggle.

      Our states in life demand different levels of goods. This is
      especially true of Oblates who are parents or spouses. We must never
      dare to force our simplicity on those beloved non-Oblates in our
      midst! Still, there are excellent examples of detachment and
      simplicity in the midst of plenty. Not all of them were canonized saints,
      either.

      The last Grand Duchess of Russia, Olga, sister of Tsar Nicholas
      II, died in 1960. She was a picture of no-fuss simplicity all of her
      life, long before revolution and exile. She died in a friend's
      apartment in Toronto, above a barber shop, not in the Winter Palace.

      Not a word of complaint from her at all. Her primary interests had
      been being a colonel's wife and a mother to her two sons. Nothing
      else mattered to her. Since her husband was a commoner, she was
      hardly the apple of her Empress mother's eye, but that didn't matter
      either.

      What little she had left was shared with admirable
      generosity. Of all the Imperial family, Olga was best suited to
      exile, because she had always been used to simplicity and even to
      hard work. Many other Romanovs fared hardly so well....

      Message 53 of 53 , Mar 13, 2009

        Prayers, please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

        Dave, recurrent prostate cancer, seeing oncologist on the 18th, and for Elaine, his wife.

        Tom, upper erosive esophagitus, a stomach ulcer and hiatal hernia. The current meds are
        not helping the problem. Seeing doctor today.

        Joyce, who had surgery and several organs are filled with cancer.
        The family needs prayers as it is very hard for them to deal with the diagnosis.

        Carol, undergoing surgery to repair leg tendons on Thursday... for a safe operation, and a quick, comfortable, and complete recovery.

        Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Doris, who has gone to God, for all her family and all who mourn her.

        Let the brethren serve one another, and let no one be excused from
        the kitchen service
        except by reason of sickness or occupation in some important work.
        For this service brings increase of reward and of charity. But let
        helpers be provided for the weak ones, that they may not be
        distressed by this work; and indeed let everyone have help, as
        required by the size of the community or the circumstances of the
        locality. If the community is a large one,
        the cellarer shall be excused from the kitchen service; and so also
        those whose occupations are of greater utility, as we said above.
        Let the rest serve one another in charity.

        The one who is ending his week of service shall do the cleaning on
        Saturday. He shall wash the towels with which the brethren wipe
        their hands and feet; and this server who is ending his week, aided
        by the one who is about to begin, shall wash the feet of all the
        brethren. He shall return the utensils of his office to the
        cellarer clean and in good condition,
        and the cellarer in turn shall consign them to the incoming server,
        in order that he may know what he gives out and what he receives
        back.

        REFLECTION

        I know some houses have moved away from having table waiters, but
        something is lost in that. We have cafeteria style first portions
        here, then the waiter goes around to offer seconds and clears the
        dishes. It isn't a really big deal, but it does have a great reward,
        as the Holy Rule points out. Because we are a small community, only
        8, everyone, even the Superior takes a turn at waiting.

        Formerly, in some houses (maybe in all, but I am not sure,) the
        Abbot would wait tables on Holy Thursday. There was a nice
        connection there: he who held the place of Christ waited on all on
        the feast of the Last Supper, and washed the feet of twelve in
        Church that day.

        The connection here is personalist. Waiting on people connects you
        very much to them, as any waiter could tell you. Restaurants may
        not pursue that connection to any depth, but a home situation, like
        a monastery, surely does. There's a great notion here for Oblates
        who
        do not live alone: take turns waiting. We can get slumped into Dad
        or Mom or husband or wife always being waiter or waited upon.
        Switch off, care for each other, in this and many, many other ways!

        There are tons of ways of serving another, serving each other, that
        have nothing at all to do with tables or dining. There are many,
        many, equivalent forms of foot-washing. Hunt for them diligently and
        practice them with deep love!