Holy Rule for Mar 2

    Message 1 of 54 , Mar 1, 2009
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of all the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

      Fr David, who was due to go work in a leper colony in Zimbabwe in July has just been diagnosed with bowel cancer. He has been raising funds for this for the last 18 months, and is due in hospital for the operation in the very near future. Prayers for healing would be good, acceptance, God's grace please.

      Barbara, suffering from depression.

      A. probably going to have to stop work in the not too distant future because her depression is so bad,

      Jack, 4 years old, end stage renal failure, waiting for a kidney transplant and now developing allergies to the dogs in the house (one of his comforts.) He's a fighter, as are his parents, but prayers are asked.

      Lois, for whom we've prayed previously. Cyber knife removed a few tumors, now she is prepping for more tests.

      Mary Linda, 56, brain cancer, moving on to experimental treatment.

      Chapter 25: On Weightier Faults

      Let the brother who is guilty of a weightier fault be excluded both
      from the table and from the oratory. Let none of the brethren join
      him either for company or for conversation.
      Let him be alone at the work assigned him, abiding in penitential
      sorrow and pondering that terrible sentence of the Apostle where he
      says that a man of that kind is handed over
      for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in
      the day of the Lord (1 Cor. 5:5). Let him take his meals alone in
      the measure and at the hour which the Abbot shall consider suitable
      for him. He shall not be blessed by those who pass by, nor shall
      the food that is given him be blessed.

      REFLECTION

      Justice demands that the punishment fit the crime, and St. Benedict
      gives the two points between which a spectrum of other methods may
      be employed. He does not want a one-size-fits-all system of
      correction and clearly says so more than once.

      Think of any parent or authority figure you have ever heard
      criticized. If punishment was in any way involved, it is most
      likely that the fault was in doing too much or too little. A cruel
      person can make employees or children or monastics live in terror.
      Punishment is relentless and swift and often comes without warning.

      This may result in slavish compliance or outright rebellion, but it
      never results in a healthy self, for authority or subject. We are
      not called to live in dread of unwittingly angering some
      intransigent despot, whose whims may be dangerous, indeed. We are
      called to live
      in peace and mercy: to receive it and to give it to others. That is
      true of all monastics, superiors and those governed.

      But we are not called to peace at any price whatsoever, which is
      the fault of those who do too little to correct. Fear of the
      governed is as stupid and pointless as fear of the governor and
      neither helps anyone. While too much control may lead the community
      to fear the
      Abbess, too little will leave them equally afraid of each other!

      Note carefully that the missing ingredients in either extreme are
      love, real charity, as well as a trusting prayer for grace and
      guidance. If we are not showing
      His love to all, something is very wrong. If mercy does not temper
      justice (and justice does not temper total inaction!) something is
      quite amiss.

      Really peaceful people do not avoid confrontation at all costs, if
      they do, even they will never have peace. They will have nothing
      more than an uneasy truce or more less perpetual fear. That is not
      the loving way to deal with a problem.

      The Benedictine way is, as usual, the middle way. Some would put
      down the middle way, call it weak, but, as we have seen, it takes a
      tremendous amount of guts and grace to do it well. Our way is quite
      the reverse of a cop-out: it requires genuine courage and grace, to
      say nothing of its chief component, a lot of very frank and
      truthful LOVE! Ah, yes, and that mercy which is a mirror of the
      Divine Mercy, too!

      Message 54 of 54 , Jan 24

        +PAX

        Prayers for our Sister Mary Paula, on her feastday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

        Prayers for Mary, on her birthday, graces galore and many more! Ad multos annos!

        Deo gratias, Moira, for whom we prayed, safely delivered Victor, 11 lbs, and 2 oz., 22 inches long! Prayers, too, for all the family, Dad and brother, Angel and Angel 3rd, and for Gerry and Eva and Victor’s other set of grandparents.

        Prayers for three couples that need to get their marriages blessed and receive the Sacraments.

        Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best, all is mercy and
        grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much!

        Holy Scripture, brethren, cries out to us, saying,
        "Everyone who exalts himself shall be humbled,
        and he who humbles himself shall be exalted" (Luke 14:11).
        In saying this it shows us
        that all exaltation is a kind of pride,
        against which the Prophet proves himself to be on guard
        when he says,
        "Lord, my heart is not exalted,
        nor are mine eyes lifted up;
        neither have I walked in great matters,
        nor in wonders above me."
        But how has he acted?
        "Rather have I been of humble mind
        than exalting myself;
        as a weaned child on its mother's breast,
        so You solace my soul" (Ps. 130:1-2).

        Hence, brethren,
        if we wish to reach the very highest point of humility
        and to arrive speedily at that heavenly exaltation
        to which ascent is made through the humility of this present life,
        we must
        by our ascending actions
        erect the ladder Jacob saw in his dream,
        on which Angels appeared to him descending and ascending.
        By that descent and ascent
        we must surely understand nothing else than this,
        that we descend by self-exaltation and ascend by humility.
        And the ladder thus set up is our life in the would,
        which the Lord raises up to heaven if our heart is humbled.
        For we call our body and soul the sides of the ladder,
        and into these sides our divine vocation has inserted
        the different steps of humility and discipline we must climb.

        REFLECTION

        Today we begin St. Benedict's extensive treatment of humility.
        Humility and obedience are so closely linked that it is virtually
        impossible to speak of one without adding the other. Since both are
        essential Benedictine virtues, it is easy to say that there is no
        such thing as a holy Benedictine who has not climbed or is not
        climbing this ladder. I have never known a holy monk who was not
        humble, in fact, along with charity, it was usually their most outstanding trait.

        A lot of this chapter will grate on modern ears. I will be the first
        to admit that some people need assertiveness training. However, in my
        experience, most of us do not. Most of us manage to be assertive on a
        daily- even hourly- basis without much difficulty. Remember, too,
        that modern psychology is a science which, like all science, is
        limited to observable data.

        Hence, it is not surprising that the generalities of psychology deal
        with relations between people and things. The catch here is that the
        humility St. Benedict speaks of is rooted in relationship of humans
        to God, a sphere in which psychology finds itself woefully out
        of its element. It lacks the supernatural basis of faith; this impedes it in this
        area. Balance, always balance. Keep God in focus in these areas.
        The model is His greatness, not our own.

        A quickie on the Psalm quote today: "...neither have I walked in
        great matters, nor in matters above me." This was a favorite of
        Brother Patrick Creamer, my mentor. He learned to do it quite
        well and in just 46 years or so!! He'd laugh at my saying that.

        I speak as one who has been all too focused at many times on the
        monastic soap opera and its hand-wringing tempests in teacups. About
        many things, even most, we must learn simply not to get upset, not to
        trouble ourselves with matters too great, even though we may have to
        call them "great" with an inner, rueful chuckle.

        That's not apathy, simply a frank admission that, in many cases, others
        have charge of areas so that the rest need NOT worry or concern themselves.
        The purpose of the division of responsibility is to give the community the
        chance to focus their energy on the one thing really needful. This is especially
        true in monasteries, but the principle has applications in the workplace, too.
        In the latter, there may be times when one is morally obliged to get involved,
        but the key word is "morally". About trivia or non-essentials in any milieu,
        shrug, say nothing and keep your sanity.

        You will never have peace until you learn to leave all that alone, to
        distrust it for the empty and tragic charade that it truly is. And you will
        never get anywhere if you don't have peace. The road to that peace is
        humility and love.